Gay TV Show London Spy-Anyone watch it?

Rod Hagen
This topic is 3073 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I don't want to give any spoilers, I'll just say the last episode was amazingly emotional. The whole Charlotte Rampling last minute plea thing.

I LOVED this show, parts moved too slowly at times, but really well done. The guy that played Alex is adorable. I wish it were a series

with more episodes.

Fucking remarkable:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/21/arts/television/tv-review-london-spy.html?_r=0

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03496/London-Spy-1_3496194b.jpg

I discussed this here MANY WEEKS ago when it was first on. First of all, it is NOT a gay show. It's a spy show with a gay subtext. And it's brilliant which is what I said in my original thread.

I don't want to give any spoilers, I'll just say the last episode was amazingly emotional. The whole Charlotte Rampling last minute plea thing.

That was the one COMPLETELY FALSE NOTE in the whole thing. I didn't believe at all that she would flip on a dime like that. And I love her.

Also loved it.

The slow pace was the appeal to me. Too much television and film feels compelled to move at such a fast pace to keep audiences interested and keep them from checking their iphones and tablets constantly. We all seem to have such short attention spans now. Refreshing to watch an intelligent drama quietly and beautifully unfold.

Anyone have similar programmes to recommend?

Also loved it.

The slow pace was the appeal to me. Too much television and film feels compelled to move at such a fast pace to keep audiences interested and keep them from checking their iphones and tablets constantly. We all seem to have such short attention spans now. Refreshing to watch an intelligent drama quietly and beautifully unfold.

Anyone have similar programmes to recommend?

Julián, I had to bold your statement, and if I could, I would triple like your post! I love things developing somewhat slowly, with nuance...maybe I like the mental tease? Anyway, totally agree that was what I liked about London Spy.

As far as recommendations, our American PBS station features a British murder mystery called: Grandchester. Have you seen it? The dashing James Norton plays a jazz loving vicar and his ruggedly handsome (older) sleuthing partner is Robson Green, who plays the inspector. I love the time period and the repeating characters, including a gay vicar ( not Norton). Plus the love entanglements and the mysteries are pretty good. Kinda like an upgraded, sexier Father Brown!

That was the one COMPLETELY FALSE NOTE in the whole thing. I didn't believe at all that she would flip on a dime like that. And I love her.

Oh I think I know what you're talking about at the very very end. And I do agree (though I still kinda liked it, sets it up for a second season even though I think I remember reading that the creator doesn't want to do a second season). What I was talking about was 10 minutes earlier when Charlotte made a plea. I can't say more.

Julián, I had to bold your statement, and if I could, I would triple like your post! I love things developing somewhat slowly, with nuance...maybe I like the mental tease? Anyway, totally agree that was what I liked about London Spy.

As far as recommendations, our American PBS station features a British murder mystery called: Grandchester. Have you seen it? The dashing James Norton plays a jazz loving vicar and his ruggedly handsome (older) sleuthing partner is Robson Green, who plays the inspector. I love the time period and the repeating characters, including a gay vicar ( not Norton). Plus the love entanglements and the mysteries are pretty good. Kinda like an upgraded, sexier Father Brown!

GRANTCHESTER. They call it the "hot vicar show" in the UK. Norton is fantastic. Once again, we don't know that the curate is actually gay, it's only been hinted at so far.

The recent WAR AND PEACE with James Norton as Prince Andrei was superb.

Oh I think I know what you're talking about at the very very end. And I do agree (though I still kinda liked it, sets it up for a second season even though I think I remember reading that the creator doesn't want to do a second season). What I was talking about was 10 minutes earlier when Charlotte made a plea. I can't say more.

Yes, I agree. I was trying not to say too much so as not to give it away ... although as the show is MORE THAN 3 MONTHS old I don't feel that spoilers are an issue at this point.

This was based the real life murder of a gay MI-6 agent a few years back. I seriously doubt there will be a second season but I would definitely be watching if there was.

Truereview

"Julián, I had to bold your statement, and if I could, I would triple like your post! I love things developing somewhat slowly, with nuance...maybe I like the mental tease? Anyway, totally agree that was what I liked about London Spy.

As far as recommendations, our American PBS station features a British murder mystery called: Grantchester. Have you seen it? The dashing James Norton plays a jazz loving vicar and his ruggedly handsome (older) sleuthing partner is Robson Green, who plays the inspector. I love the time period and the repeating characters, including a gay vicar ( not Norton). Plus the love entanglements and the mysteries are pretty good. Kinda like an upgraded, sexier Father Brown!"

Though I live in the UK I wasn't aware of Grantchester, I'll have to have a watch. Certainly James Norton is worth watching and I second MrMiniver in that War and Peace was extraordinary.

We have a lot of murder mysteries over here on television, and I have tended to avoid them. Midsomer Murders seems in particular to be over the top with mini genocides taking place in sleepy villages trying keep the audience rapt. But Grandchester looks a cut above, thanks!

Truereview

"Julián, I had to bold your statement, and if I could, I would triple like your post! I love things developing somewhat slowly, with nuance...maybe I like the mental tease? Anyway, totally agree that was what I liked about London Spy.

As far as recommendations, our American PBS station features a British murder mystery called: Grandchester. Have you seen it? The dashing James Norton plays a jazz loving vicar and his ruggedly handsome (older) sleuthing partner is Robson Green, who plays the inspector. I love the time period and the repeating characters, including a gay vicar ( not Norton). Plus the love entanglements and the mysteries are pretty good. Kinda like an upgraded, sexier Father Brown!"

Though I live in the UK I wasn't aware of Grandchester, I'll have to have a watch. Certainly James Norton is worth watching and I second MrMiniver in that War and Peace was extraordinary.

We have a lot of murder mysteries over here on television, and I have tended to avoid them. Midsomer Murders seems in particular to be over the top with mini genocides taking place in sleepy villages trying keep the audience rapt. But Grandchester looks a cut above, thanks!

How many times does one have to correct someone? It's called GRANTCHESTER, not Grandchester.

The SECOND SEASON of GRANTCHESTER starts next week. It was a huge hit for Season 1 and the preview for the new season says "the opening scene features James Norton taking a dip in the river which should cause the internet an social media to explode."

Can't wait.

Archived