"Funny Girl" in London, Times Review of the Revival

WilliamM
This topic is 3034 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/16/theater/review-in-funny-girl-sheridan-smith-does-the-heavy-lifting.html?hpw&rref=theater&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=well-region&region=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-well

I was lucky to see the original production with Stresand, although I have never seen the film. Unlike "Gypsy" and "A Streetcar Named Desire," which are mentioned as being frequently revived, "Funny Girl" is almost totally depend on the star. If "Gypsy" had not been revived for over 50 year, people would be saying the same thing about Merman. But, "Gypsy" is a much, much better musical than "Funny Girl," thus the frequent "Gypsy" revivals.

Still, I would be very happy to be proved wrong. I hope this production comes to New York. The review is mixed, leaning a bit to the negative. It's worth reviving for the score though.

Archived