RELAX and HEAL with Masseurfinder

LAdude424
This topic is 3027 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

It's a sad commentary on how government prosecutors can intimidate legitimate business operations. I've read a lot in The Deli about how Rentboy may have laundered money, allegedly promoted prostitution, etc. but Masseurfinder and M4M haven't broken any laws at all. Very sad.

Welllllll.... Your use of 'legitimate' is quite generous. We can all argue whether or not prostitution should be legal, whether it harms anyone, whether our law enforcement should be focused on more dire issues. But the fact is it IS illegal right now. And law enforcement is justified in pursuing both blatant, and thinly-veiled, sites and organizations.

I'm not happy about it, but I can't call it intimidation of legitimate businesses.

I guess I have to agree in that it is illegal regardless of how important a service it provides. But that doesn't mean that those government prosecutions were a misplaced use of tax payers money. I honestly think there was something deeper going on there ....I mean Homeland Security....? Really? Of course Rentboy did pretty much flaunt what they were doing so ...... who knows. Anyway, I certainly understand the skittishness of the remaining sites no matter how much of an annoying thing it is. I do wonder if it will drive some guys back to CL .

Welllllll.... Your use of 'legitimate' is quite generous. We can all argue whether or not prostitution should be legal, whether it harms anyone, whether our law enforcement should be focused on more dire issues. But the fact is it IS illegal right now. And law enforcement is justified in pursuing both blatant, and thinly-veiled, sites and organizations.

I'm not happy about it, but I can't call it intimidation of legitimate businesses.

Yes, I suppose people could argue about the meaning of “legitimate,” but they could also question the use of the word “justify.” Let’s not forget that until a few years ago, gay sex was a crime in a number of states. I for one do not believe this would justify arresting gay people for having sex.

My own theory is that many things that are technically illegal only remain illegal because of an implicit understanding that the laws will not be enforced or will only be enforced rarely and in extreme circumstances. For example, infidelity is still technically illegal in New York and a number of other states. But everyone knows this is not enforced—to the point that the Governor Paterson even forgot it was illegal when he admitted to having affairs. http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/03/21/is-adultery-a-crime-in-new-york/?_r=0 I suspect that if there were a major push to start arresting spouses for cheating, there would quickly be such a backlash that the law would be repealed or struck down by the courts. On the other hand, there is obviously a strong puritanical streak in certain circles in this country, so who knows…

When I said "legitimate," I was referring to masseur ads on M4M and Masseurfinder being intimidated by government prosecutors. I thought I was clear in separating activities on those sites from what Rentboy was doing.

I never meant to imply that promoting prostitution or money laundering, if this is what they did, were legitimate activities.

When I said "legitimate," I was referring to masseur ads on M4M and Masseurfinder being intimidated by government prosecutors. I thought I was clear in separating activities on those sites from what Rentboy was doing.

I never meant to imply that promoting prostitution or money laundering, if this is what they did, were legitimate activities.

Of course this is just speculation, but perhaps they are concerned that some people who advertise on their site might be crossing the line between legal and illegal massages, and that the government might accuse them (even if incorrectly) of being aware of this and profiting from it, leading them to the same fate as RB. Oh, and in case you are wondering about the point at which getting a massage may become a crime, please keep in mind that prostitution includes engaging in any sexual contact for a fee. Further, “sexual contact” has a rather broad definition, which includes "any touching of the sexual or other intimate parts of a person for the purpose of gratifying sexual desire of either party...whether directly or through clothing." (This is New York’s definition, but most states are probably similar.)

Archived