The ignorance still runs deep

seaboy4hire
This topic is 3123 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest countryboywny

There was a time in my life when I was very ignorant about this. Although I never spewed the hatred, I was afraid to engage anyone who I knew was positive. I also NEVER trusted anything the government had to say on the issue because they only tell us what they want us to hear. I have had the benefit of friends who are more knowledgeable than me and I have learned a lot. I'm still fairly ignorant, but I've gained enough knowledge that I am no longer afraid, I no longer think much of it and I'm in a good place. I'm sorry that you were victimized, Greg, especially since you have always been honest and forthcoming regarding your status. You deserve better and my advice is to ignore the ignorant assholes.

There was a time in my life when I was very ignorant about this. Although I never spewed the hatred, I was afraid to engage anyone who I knew was positive. I also NEVER trusted anything the government had to say on the issue because they only tell us what they want us to hear. I have had the benefit of friends who are more knowledgeable than me and I have learned a lot. I'm still fairly ignorant, but I've gained enough knowledge that I am no longer afraid, I no longer think much of it and I'm in a good place. I'm sorry that you were victimized, Greg, especially since you have always been honest and forthcoming regarding your status. You deserve better and my advice is to ignore the ignorant assholes.

I no longer reply to the messages. It's not worth my time.

Hugs,

Greg

It just baffles me with how far we've come from the start of this in the 80's. I still faintly remember seeing the news coverage from national news about act up and how hard they fought. Sending such messages and the blatant ignorance just baffles me. Should one take charge of their health? Of course! But to shun someone often times through no fault of their own just irks me. If I could go back and do things different I would in a heart beat. But I can't so I make the best of it. In fact with the exception of being positive I'm healthier than many many Americans. But it is what it is. All I ask is to treat poz guys with respect and don't be a dick.

Hugs,

Greg

I no longer reply to the messages. It's not worth my time.

Hugs,

Greg

Hi Greg,

I am so proud of you taking the "high road" and not say anything in response to another person's ignorance to your situation. I can 100 % relate to what your going through (as you know) I had a something (recently actually)horrific happen to me here on the forum where I found out unfortunately the hard way that by defending myself and not taking the "high road" in just apologizing and not say anything was hurting me more then working for me in my favor to what the thread was about.

Later I came to a realization through close friends(such as Steven Kesslar, Truhart1, etc), a friend from college(who is a Psychologist), the advice of other forum members that the Constructive Criticism I received from that thread was of a learning tool helping me change for the better, and it did actually.

The "Constructive Criticism" I received was based on advice I actually was open to (as far as suggestions goes that's beneficial) thrown at me at all kind of ways which was for the good and bad to learn from.

It was by the guidance of many fellow forum members suggested to just remain silent, and let the thread die on it's own as the thread eventually was starting to shift towards a negative direction. Was hard at times not to defend myself towards certain individuals that gave some harsh advice, and by not taking the taking the "high road" eventually was a costly mistake on my end for which I was sorry for later, but in the process it was a good learning experience(for me anyway) on how to pick your battles, and knowing how to deal with the criticism that can be beneficial for you later on in life by accepting feedback you may find difficult to accept be thrown at your way all at once. It's knowing how to deal with such harsh criticism, does it apply to you, and how you can take it in with a grain of salt, and utilize it to enhance your life for the better.

What I'm starting to learn more and more about "Constructive Criticism" as I'm maturing and getting older is maybe the person who's giving this piece of harsh advice is not so much out to "attack" you per say, but trying to open your eyes to how other people may see you based on your actions or race or how you dress, being Gay - whatever the case maybe, take it in, utilize it, and turn a negative what people see about you into a positive situation.

That's what I learned from that experience as I know what its like, baby to be rejected, and judged for the wrong reasons which is why I think I pushed too hard in order to prove myself more to fit in and feel equally accepted as everyone else in this world, which in some cases worked where I was easily accepted, and some didn't as it came off maybe as horrifically aggressive in a negative light for which as based all out of good intentions in getting to know people without rejection. I always felt if others reject you they're is something wrong with you, and beginning to learn and understand that's not the case. Yes, I get rejected because of being a Gay Africian-American, and even been told so, but it's okay - not everyone in this world is gonna dislike me on the count of that.

I'm starting to realize more and more that everyone in this world is not going to accept or be a match for one another whether it's you, me or others for whatever reason, and that okay. I'm finally coming to grips in realizing that it's fine if others don't understand or accept you for who and what you are whether if your positive or not, Black, White, Blue, Purple, Green, Straight, Gay, fat, skinny - It's they're loss, Baby - Not Yours. :D.

What I always say is: "Another person's loss is one's gain" which is true beyond belief on so many levels as you have to take the good along with the bad in situations like this when it comes to acceptance, baby as myself along with others here on the forum here love you, and accept you as you being positive doesn't bother me, and those who don't accept you because of that is they're loss - not yours.

Stay sweet, and remain positive about life, Greg as it gets everyday as to don't let these people who don't know get you down. That's what I had to learn recently to overcome such obstacles, and still learning more about myself everyday as time goes on as life on this earth is always forever a learning curve of experiences and life lessons to come. ;).

HUGS,

Archived