United Airlines said WHAT to JFK?

Chris Eisenhower
This topic is 3253 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Chris, I don't understand the reason for all the nastiness in your post. United made a business decision to drop flights out of JFK mostly because they had so few connecting flights out of JFK (Newark is the United hub on the East Coast) and partly because the Port Authority fees were, in their opinion, too high. I don't doubt that the fees are indeed out of line because, as FF correctly points out, the Port Authority is notoriously corrupt. The PA also runs Newark, but I'm guessing United managed to negotiate some sort of "bulk discount." Did this change affect your travel plans all that much? Why all the vituperation toward United??

I can't speak for Mr. Eisenhower (I didn't even think his post was all that "nasty," but whatever...), but I will say that as a native New Yorker, I find Newark airport to be much more inconvenient than either JFK international airport or LaGuardia domestic airport. A few years back, they finished the train service to Newark, but I still found it to be inefficient. JFK is actually really easy to get to now because of the AirTrain, whereas it's expensive to use a car service to drive out to Newark airport, particularly from Brooklyn, Queens, and the Bronx. For those who care only about Manhattan, perhaps Newark isn't all that inconvenient, but at least the official yellow taxis have reasonable flat-rate fares into Manhattan from either JFK or LaGuardia. For Queens and Brooklyn residents, where nearly half the city's residents live, the Queens airports are much more convenient.

Strange that it would be cheaper to operate out of Newark,mince I thought the Port Authority runs all thee area airports. Maybe it's cheaper for United because Newark is one of its hubs?

Archived