Where can you hide your money?

marylander1940
This topic is 3190 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

You were protected by your own innocence!

Whenever I think of that particular experience, I am amazed that I reacted in such a stupid way. If he'd said BOO! I'd probably have thrown my billfold at his feet! One other time, back when the bowery was a more industrial area, much less populous than now, I had gotten lost down there and was trying to find a busier and thus safer area, when this younger couple came up behind me and I almost freaked out because I hadn't noticed them until they were right there by me. They just asked me how to get to The Bowery and I was too naïve to even know we were IN the area known as the bowery! LOL :confused:o_O

TruHart1 :cool:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I took the subway from Grand Central to the Bronx late at night during the mid-70s and was only scared of being pickpocketed or groped when I had to get off the crowded train I was on while at the 125th Street station and get on an even more crowded train. There was a transit cop on the platform and no opportunity to do much of anything without detection. What I found truly scary was standing around the train station in Katonah on my way back waiting for the camp van to pick me up. (I was working at a sleepwalk camp.) There was no one around.

As a 24-hour city, most of NY doesn't scare me. I also consider New Yorkers warm and helpful -- much more so than, say, their more reserved compatriots in Boston.

As a 24-hour city, most of NY doesn't scare me. I also consider New Yorkers warm and helpful -- much more so than, say, their more reserved compatriots in Boston.

I would put both parts of this statement on a bumper sticker.

Besides the human temperature being higher in NYC, I think that--contrary to some stereotypes--it can be argued Manhattan is safer than Boston these days. Across 2010-2011 as a Manhattan resident I rambled the city at all hours of the night, in every state of inebriated oblivion, with zero trouble.

Then on a visit back to Boston in 2013, after leaving a restaurant in Chinatown at midnight, I was robbed at knifepoint. Next day I saw I had walked one block too close to a park on the wrong side of town that the police have effectively given over at night to teen gangsters. Not a phenomenon I ever observed in NYC, in my peregrinations from the Bowery to 155th St.

I took the subway from Grand Central to the Bronx late at night during the mid-70s and was only scared of being pickpocketed or groped when I had to get off the crowded train I was on while at the 125th Street station and get on an even more crowded train. There was a transit cop on the platform and no opportunity to do much of anything without detection. What I found truly scary was standing around the train station in Katonah on my way back waiting for the camp van to pick me up. (I was working at a sleepwalk camp.) There was no one around.

I would put both parts of this statement on a bumper sticker.

Besides the human temperature being higher in NYC, I think that--contrary to some stereotypes--it can be argued Manhattan is safer than Boston these days. Across 2010-2011 as a Manhattan resident I rambled the city at all hours of the night, in every state of inebriated oblivion, with zero trouble.

Then on a visit back to Boston in 2013, after leaving a restaurant in Chinatown at midnight, I was robbed at knifepoint. Next day I saw I had walked one block too close to a park on the wrong side of town that the police have effectively given over at night to teen gangsters. Not a phenomenon I ever observed in NYC, in my peregrinations from the Bowery to 155th St.

I've never met a New Yorker I didn't like....ok ok, there is always one, but you get where I'm going.

• 2 months later...

You want to talk about scary cities-and I love this place. But I was visiting Chicago around 1999. I get a newspaper and there is this story about an innocent girl who went out on a date with a drug dealer. They ran into some rival dealers. The rivals killed the couple, and I think decapitated both of them.

Gman

You want to talk about scary cities-and I love this place. But I was visiting Chicago around 1999. I get a newspaper and there is this story about an innocent girl who went out on a date with a drug dealer. They ran into some rival dealers. The rivals killed the couple, and I think decapitated both of them.

Gman

You start fooling around with drug dealers in ANY city and you're asking for trouble. Just two days ago a guy was shot in my small Kentucky town over a drug deal gone bad.

A safe for your home (they have very small versions for a car too) is fairly inexpensive. Decent versions are also good for protecting documents in the case of a flood or fire (I'm not a fireman so don't know how each different type would fare in a fire but anything in a safe is better off than if just left in your sock drawer). Home alarm systems with monitoring (including fire) can be as low as $50 per month.

Archived