"Beautiful Mind" Scientists, John Nash, Dies in Taxi Crash

Bluray2
This topic is 3253 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I'm sorry to learn of this. His life story brought attention to a form of mental illness/neuroatypicality that like all of them is little understood, including by those on this forum, to judge from harsh comments that have been made when mental illness or substance abuse (considered a form of mental illness) have contributed to a tragedy or motivated criminal acts. As someone who is neuroatypical and suffers from anxiety and other disorders, as well as the mother of a daughter with Asperger's/high-functioning autism spectrum disorder as well as anxiety and other disorders, I've sat here and bit my tongue on many occasions when I wanted to call people out for their lack of compassion.

I'm sorry to learn of this. His life story brought attention to a form of mental illness/neuroatypicality that like all of them is little understood, including by those on this forum, to judge from harsh comments that have been made when mental illness or substance abuse (considered a form of mental illness) have contributed to a tragedy or motivated criminal acts. As someone who is neuroatypical and suffers from anxiety and other disorders, as well as the mother of a daughter with Asperger's/high-functioning autism spectrum disorder as well as anxiety and other disorders, I've sat here and bit my tongue on many occasions when I wanted to call people out for their lack of compassion.

I wish you had. Instead of "calling them out" perhaps just letting them know that their comments are mis-directed. Your posts are incredibly informative. All too often I am guilty of looking at things one dimensionally. Hearing a different perspective is/can be enlightening. In the end, I may not always agree, but it is healthy to see things in a different light.

I wish you had. Instead of "calling them out" perhaps just letting them know that their comments are mis-directed. Your posts are incredibly informative. All too often I am guilty of looking at things one dimensionally. Hearing a different perspective is/can be enlightening. In the end, I may not always agree, but it is healthy to see things in a different light.

I felt I was too close to the issue to address it with sufficient grace. Misdirected is a good word, but it's not the one that leaps to my mind when I'm ticked off. In that vein, it can take a lot of editing for me to get a post to the point where I think I've trod the fine line between making my point and making people so defensive that they aren't open to hearing what I have to say. Sometimes it's best to let a thread pass on by because I don't have the time or spoons to deal with it. Although I may leave the impression otherwise, I have a life outside of social media that I need to tend to.

And thanks! *does my best Sally Field impression* That really means a lot to me, especially since I've been called a knowitall who's obsessed with being right rather than being helpful. I'll cop to being a knowitall (I am Hermione Granger's alter ego), but in my mind, getting the facts right and pursuing truth are in themselves helpful even when advancing an agenda. Hermione's agenda was elf rights; mine is human's lib. *cues Howard Jones song*

especially since I've been called a knowitall who's obsessed with being right rather than being helpful. I'll cop to being a knowitall (I am Hermione Granger's alter ego), but in my mind, getting the facts right and pursuing truth are in themselves helpful even when advancing an agenda. Hermione's agenda was elf rights; mine is human's lib. *cue Howard Jones song*

Yes to this....and....you are right, "We are all served better by the truth."

Archived