Monster: Aileen Wuornos

BobbyThompson
This topic is 7409 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hi guys, I was just wondering if anyone's seen "Monster" and what their thoughts on it are. I figure it's somewhat apropos given the website's theme and all.

Being pretty familiar with Aileen Wuornos for sometime, I think it's tragic that she's just now getting a voice. Here's this woman who was never given a bit of sympathy her entire life. She had poor legal defense, an apathetic police department, and few interested in exploring her mental illness.

The movie wouldn't have been released while she was alive, of course. People would accuse it of glamorizing a serial killer. However, I wonder what kind of effect "Monster" would have had had it been released a few years prior to her execution (October 2002). We all now how powerful films are. I bet her sentence would have been rescinded for sure.

What do you think?

Bobby

I saw "Monster" this week, and it is a very powerful story. Charleze Theron deserves all of the accolades that she is getting for her performance.

I don't think the movie actually glmourized Aileen's life, but it sure puts it in perspective. It is a very sad story, no matter how you look at it.

My friend that I saw the movie with, came out very angry at Shelby. He thought that she was a much worse person than Aileen. I do not know the all of the details of the story, but I think that Shelp turned state's evidence, and testified against Aileen, and she never spent any time in jail. She deserved to be punished in some way.

I oppose the death penalty, and I don't know what effect the movie would have had on that in Florida. My impression is that they like to use the death penalty in Florida, it somehow makes them feel soem sort of revenge or vindication.

Howdy,

I caught both "Monster" & "Aileen: Life & Death of a Serial Killer" within days of one another.

Charlize Theron was right on in her portrayal...especially her mannerisms & facial ticks. I liked "Aileen..." because it showed her older & weirder while in prison. She was one scurry chick!

Catch both films if possible to get the full flavor of Aileen W.

"I beat bitches up!"--Coral, "Real World"

John

http://www.SmallTownJohn1.com

"Put Some South in Your Mouth"

>I oppose the death penalty, and I don't know what effect the

>movie would have had on that in Florida. My impression is

>that they like to use the death penalty in Florida, it somehow

>makes them feel soem sort of revenge or vindication.

Damn right they like to use the death penalty in Florida. We like to use in Virginia also, and I hear thru the grapevine that Texas isn't adverse to it either. No bleeding hearts for cold blooded killers in these states, so perhaps they should limit their random killings of innocent people to other locales.

Hollywood movie. Yep, Hollywood has always portrayed the accurate facts of history, starting with Birth of a Nation in 1914.

The facts of the case speak for themselves. A cold, calculating serial murderess, who used prostitution as a means to entrap and murder innocent men. I don't care what her mental problems were, she premeditately slayed those men, and she got just what she deserved. No mercy was warranted and no mercy was meted out.

I consider myself a very liberal person, but I have absolutely no sympathy for people who commit premeditated murder and I think those who commit that act, should pay with their lives.

How about some tears and sympathy for those brutally murdered and their families and loved ones. Where's your compassion for them? And above all else, where the f**k are the Hollywood movies depicting their anguish and shattered lives and the tragedy of a life brutally ended before fruition and the supposition of what may have been lost thru those victims' potential descendants? Yeah, I'll hold my breath waiting for Hollywood to depict that and I won't be shedding any tears for those brutal murderers who get the just desserts they so well earned and deserve. :(

Archived