Skylight

skynyc
This topic is 3291 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Surprised that no one has written about this here yet.

Strongly encourage folks to see this smart evening of "grown-up" theater. I was unfamiliar with the work (even though there was an NT LIVE showing of it last Fall around town,) but have enjoyed both Bill Nighy and Carey Mulligan on stage and screen.

Filled with familiar themes: class, wealth, love, grief, family, etc. David Hare's script is neat and fine. The unveiling of the situation, and the ups and downs of the relationship seem so organic...unlike the canned tomatoes as she cooks a tomato sauce throughout the first act, whose smell wafts all the way to the rear mezzanine.

Nighy plays Tom, a very successful restauranteur who stops by the apartment of the much younger woman with whom he had an extended affair. Time has changed the circumstances of both parties, however, and the revelations, accusations, and self-analysis flow easily. His character is tightly wound and filled with nervous energy, I found myself unable to take my eyes from him as he paced the room, pushing the furniture around as he attempted to confess why he came. Mulligan's Kyra is strong and smart and idealistic, and her dingy flat in a bad part of town forces her make plenty of sacrifices, all an elaborate way of hiding out.

I sort of thought that Alex Sharpe had a lock on the Tony for Best Actor in a Play...with Helen Mirren getting an easy win for Best Actress...but after seeing tonight I don't think either win is automatic.... Night and Mulligan ensure that there could be a couple very tight races.

The particulars: there is a 40% discount on Theatermania.com which expires on 5/3. I sat in the dead center of the rear mezz for $69. It's a limited run through 6/21. My friends and I all loved it. This is for anyone who appreciates a finely crafted evening with strong performances taking hold of a lovely piece of theatrical writing. Leave the kids at home, with the folks whose favorite evening of theater in the last year was It's Only a Play.

Archived