"What I learned from a year of traveling without makeup" Stephanie Yoder

marylander1940
This topic is 3287 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I used to wear a lot of makeup.

Actually, that’s not totally accurate. I know girls who wear a lot of makeup, who practically paint on a new face each day, and I was not one of them. My daily routine consisted of a bit of moisturizer, a powdered foundation, some eyeshadow, mascara, blush, and lip gloss.

Still, the fact remains: I had a daily makeup routine. But that all changed two years ago, when I started living on the road. I pretty much quit wearing the stuff cold turkey.

It wasn’t intentional, at first. The truth is, I didn’t wear it because I was too jet-lagged to even bother. But as time passed and I got used to road life — and therefore didn’t spend half my days jet-lagged — I still couldn’t be bothered. There didn’t seem to be a point to putting on a face.

When I was in Australia, for instance, I lived out of a van, and the idea of putting on mascara in the rearview mirror was almost comical. In Southeast Asia, it was so hot, it would have immediately melted off anyway. In China, I already looked so radically different from everyone else that my skin color practically was my makeup; I didn’t see any reason to try to dress things up even more.

More: https://www.yahoo.com/travel/no-mascara-no-problem-what-i-learned-from-a-year-116285055992.html

Archived