Another cop with anger issues, 1 dead veteran, and we taxpayers will pick the bill again...

marylander1940
This topic is 3303 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7edyemR05Y

Do we have enough psychologist for pilots and cops to visit them often? Sounds like a joke, but who can you trust now a days...

WASHINGTON — A white police officer in North Charleston, S.C., was charged with murder on Tuesday after a video surfaced showing him shooting in the back and killing an apparently unarmed black man while the man ran away.

The officer, Michael T. Slager, 33, said he had feared for his life because the man had taken his stun gun in a scuffle after a traffic stop on Saturday. A video, however, shows the officer firing eight times as the man, Walter L. Scott, 50, fled. The North Charleston mayor announced the state charges at a news conference Tuesday evening.

The shooting came on the heels of high-profile instances of police officers’ using lethal force in New York, Cleveland, Ferguson, Mo., and elsewhere. The deaths have set off a national debate over whether the police are too quick to use force, particularly in cases involving black men.

If a cop shoots someone and that cop is not in immediate danger, shouldn't paramedics be called to treat the victim, not just more cops? Shouldn't that be the priority, ensuring that life is saved

A White House task force has recommended a host of changes to the nation’s police policies, and President Obama sent Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. to cities around the country to try to improve police relations with minority neighborhoods.

Photo

http://static01.nyt.com/images/2015/04/08/us/08SHOOTINGjp/08SHOOTINGjp-master180.jpg

Officer Michael T. Slager

North Charleston is South Carolina’s third-largest city, with a population of about 100,000. African-Americans make up about 47 percent of residents, and whites account for about 37 percent. The Police Department is about 80 percent white, according to data collected by the Justice Department in 2007, the most recent period available.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/08/us/south-carolina-officer-is-charged-with-murder-in-black-mans-death.html?_r=0

And now protests have begun?

What's to protest? He apparently murdered the guy, he's been arrested and will likely spend the rest of his probably-short life getting raped and shanked in prison. I really hope that people don't use this as an excuse to go on another burning and looting spree...

And now protests have begun?...

Yes, without protest there would be no chance of justice. Crime in big cities has come down a lot, some of yinz can't even imagine how dangerous NYC was just 30 years ago. We shouldn't be afraid of cops.

I just hope this desire for justice involves all of us, and not just this one specific case and all of us (of all ethnicities and social status) who protest this injustice won't go back to: wife beating, abandoning children, babies out of wedlock, unprotected sex, cheating on taxes, etc

This "hero" who's image became a symbol of Ferguson is 24 y/o, single and has 3 children from 3 different baby mamas....

Bu5XQ6KCIAEPh81.jpg

http://brettpinegar.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/BeTheChange_Gandhi.jpg

What's to protest? He apparently murdered the guy, he's been arrested and will likely spend the rest of his probably-short life getting raped and shanked in prison. ...

I don't think rape should be part of prison experience the same way I think torture shouldn't be allowed under any circumstances. As a cop he should be kept away from other prisoners at all time to protect his life and physical integrity.

I really hope that people don't use this as an excuse to go on another burning and looting spree...

I agree with you! No excuse for lawlessness specially when the communities will do nothing but hurt themselves as it happened here during the MLK riots. 14th St in DC was full of stores own by Jewish men, after the riots they left to Bethesda and Chevy Chase and never came back, so many jobs where lost.

During the Rodney King riots in LA a black activist was asked: "Did anything changed from the MLK riots?", he answered "the Jews left, the Asians came and the Mexicans took the jobs".

I'm ok with huge peaceful protests because without them there will be no change. From just what we've seen in the past year I think too many cops are liars, abuse their authority, have too little respect for minorities (although nobody is likely safe from the bad ones) and society/politicians/DA's/courts give too much deference to the cops point of view of an incident. I've watched the video too many times on CNN and while the murderer in uniform should get the death penalty there is at least one other cop (the second to appear in the video) that needs to be prosecuted. I'm hopeful lots of cops will be sentenced to prison in the near future so a clear message is sent they should do their jobs properly and with self control. Body cameras for every one of them. Had the video not been available the murderer and his liar fellow employees would be getting away free. And perhaps we need far better employment screening, less police unions, faster termination processes, limited appeals for terminations and far better training. This murderer is a sick individual to shoot someone else the way he did and I don't believe for a second that similar injustices aren't happening throughout the year elsewhere. Too ofter "he/she was going for my weapon, I was scared for my life, etc., etc." bullcrap. Its a job, do it right or quit.

People die trying to make it into this country, why there's such a culture of poverty in some parts of our inner cities and specially in the trailer parks of Appalachia?

I wouldn't put black (poor inner city ones) and brown (Mexicans legal or not) together, the first group votes democratic but has so much in common with rednecks who vote Republican: gun culture, children out of wedlock, a culture of deception, irresponsibility, etc... while the other group still sees this place as a beacon of hope and they die trying to make it here to do the jobs we don't want or we're too fat to do.

I was born in 1940, I was called a "White N" and "Celtic N.." because of been Irish-American. My dad was denied jobs because of been catholic, I know how racism feels like specially when a negative behavior, real or presumed, is attached to a skin color. My uncle was a cop in NYC, he framed blacks for crimes committed by Irish gangs just to gain acceptance of the wealthy Americans (Anglos).

Maybe I'm simple minded but there's no excuse under any circumstances (sport defeat or racial anxiety) to loot or burn down someone else's store/neighborhood.

And btw I'm long time Democrat and unlike so many hypocrites out there I won't burn the ladder big government gave me to go up in life (govt. loan to go to school) and I hate sounding like Governor Reagan in the 60's when he fought the Berkeley students.

Meanwhile in Cali, this guy is lucky. A 100 years ago they shot horse thieves.

HESPERIA, CALIF.

A California sheriff placed 10 deputies on paid administrative leave Friday after news video recorded the violent arrest of a man fleeing authorities on horse.

San Bernardino County Sheriff John McMahon said the video “disturbed and troubled him” and appeared to show an excessive use of force.

McMahon announced the action after 30-year-old Francis Pusok was arrested by deputies in a violent encounter filmed by a KNBC-TV helicopter . Pusok fled by car and then on a stolen horse, traveling several miles while deputies chased him on foot, after deputies tried to serve a search warrant in an identity-theft investigation Thursday.

The video shows the man dressed in bright red clothing falling from the horse as a deputy runs up and uses a stun gun on him. McMahon said the stun gun was believed to be ineffective because of the man’s loose clothing.

The man falls face down with his arms and legs outstretched and put his hands behind his back. The video shows two deputies appearing to come up and kick him in the head and crotch. Other deputies arrive moments later.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/news/nation-world/national/article18082955.html#storylink=cpy

Archived