The Visit

edjames
This topic is 3243 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The Visit started it's life as a 1956 play and starred Alfred Lunt and Lynn Fontanne. A 1964 version was done with Anthony Quinn and Ingrid Bergman.

Now, years later Chita Rivera brings it to Broadway.s This musical has had a fair bit of history before coming to Broadway. A fairly faithful musicalThe Visit, with music by John Kander, lyrics by Fred Ebb, and book by Terrence McNally, received its first production at Chicago's Goodman Theatre, starring Chita Riveraand John McMartin in 2001. That production was choreographed by Ann Reinking and directed by Frank Galati. The musical was revised and played from May 13-June 22, 2008, at Signature Theatre in Arlington, Virginia, in a production once again starring Rivera, this time with George Hearn. It received glowing reviews from the critics.

The play covers the themes of revenge, politics, young love, greed and forgiveness. Chita plays Clare an older wealthy woman who returns to the town she grew up in to seek her revenge.

I'm happy to report that at age 82 Chita is glowing. Not the young high kicking Bob Fosse chorus girl she once was but a mature and gifted performer. Look for a Tony nom.

I wish I could report that the rest of the cast and production warrants my praise but I found it too dark and somber for my taste. It fits more into the off-Broadway genre than Broadway worthy.

The Kander and Ebb score is nice but does not come close to equaling their prior achievements in Cabaret or Chicago. The cast is fine but Roger Rees cannot sing and I am puzzled to why he was cast in the role.

100 minutes, no intermission.

The Visit started it's life as a 1956 play and starred Alfred Lunt and Lynn Fontanne. A 1964 version was done with Anthony Quinn and Ingrid Bergman.

I'm happy to report that at age 82 Chita is glowing. Not the young high kicking Bob Fosse chorus girl she once was but a mature and gifted performer. Look for a Tony nom.

I wish I could report that the rest of the cast and production warrants my praise but I found it too dark and somber for my taste. It fits more into the off-Broadway genre than Broadway worthy.

The Kander and Ebb score is nice but does not come close to equaling their prior achievements in Cabaret or Chicago. The cast is fine but Roger Rees cannot sing and I am puzzled to why he was cast in the role.

100 minutes, no intermission.

I have always regreted that I was too young to see the play in 1956. But, I enjoyed the Bergman-Brynner film.

From the beginning, it seemed a strange piece to set to music and lyrics. But, I am so interested I am going to see this musical. But, it seems like a tough sell because of the subject matter, especially this spring with so many other new musicals.

• 3 weeks later...
I have always regreted that I was too young to see the play in 1956. But, I enjoyed the Bergman-Brynner film.

From the beginning, it seemed a strange piece to set to music and lyrics. But, I am so interested I am going to see this musical. But, it seems like a tough sell because of the subject matter, especially this spring with so many other new musicals.

It was Bergman and Anthony Quinn in the movie. At one point, Angela Lansbury was going to do the role in the musical that Rivera is now playing.

• 1 month later...
And now Gigi announces it will close on 6/21.

Chita's a legend and she was probably wonderful in The Visit but holy cow, she just shouldn't sing anymore. Her performance on the Tonys was magnetic - if only she hadn't sung.

Archived