"My death needs to mean something", transgender teen's suicide.

marylander1940
This topic is 3495 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The suicide of a transgender teen is catching national attention in part because of a suicide note she left behind online.

Leelah Alcorn, 17, of Kings Mills, Ohio, was struck and killed by a tractor-trailer on I-71 about 2:30 a.m. on Sunday, according to local media.

Posthumous posts started to appear on her Tumblr page, titled “Lazer Princess,” including her suicide note and a post apologizing to her closest friends.

“My death needs to mean something,” she wrote. “My death needs to be counted in the number of transgender people who commit suicide this year. I want someone to look at that number and say ‘that’s f---ed up’ and fix it. Fix society. Please.”

More:

http://news.yahoo.com/transgender-teen-leelah-alcorn-commits-suicide--leaves-behind-suicide-note---my-death-needs-to-mean-something-234758770.html

[video=youtube;vpDDWjbEVH0]

I'm pretty sure I'll never be able to understand how parents could turn their back on their child when their love and support is needed the most -- to treasure a child the way they deserve to be treasured, simply because they exist. I resisted watching this clip for a few days because I knew it would be one more example of a society that just can't seem to learn how damaging it is to withhold that love and support from kids who need it the most. Maybe telling the stories over and over will help...

Archived