#illridewithyou.... Australians say no to bigotry

bigvalboy
This topic is 3510 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

That is wonderful. I lived in Seattle when 9/11 took place. At that time there was one Muslim place of worship in the north end. The neighbors all got together with the members to help provide 24 hour security. It shows that in times of stress and trouble, we do find out who are neighbors and friends are.

FWIW, a news report and an article analyzing from the WashPo what this means for Australian immigration policy. The latter contains a reference to the Twitter campaign.

Due to LiveJournal and Tumblr, I have three Australian friends, one of whom lives in Sydney. I need to check in with her and see how she's doing.

As heart-warming as the Twitter campaign is, not only is Australia Prime Minister, Tony Abbott, a conservative who's against immigration and lacking in compassion, Australia itself has a terrible history of racism and ethnocentrism aimed mostly at Australia's indigenous people, who have been treated very much like native Americans have by the US and First Nations by Canada, with a dollop of racism based on skin tone. I'm sure there's a rich vein of Islamophobia there to be exploited.

'Siege is over' after police raid Sydney cafe

The Sydney showdown and Australia's debate over immigration and asylum

FWIW, a news report and an article analyzing from the WashPo what this means for Australian immigration policy. The latter contains a reference to the Twitter campaign.

Due to LiveJournal and Tumblr, I have three Australian friends, one of whom lives in Sydney. I need to check in with her and see how she's doing.

As heart-warming as the Twitter campaign is, not only is Australia Prime Minister, Tony Abbott, a conservative who's against immigration and lacking in compassion, Australia itself has a terrible history of racism and ethnocentrism aimed mostly at Australia's indigenous people, who have been treated very much like native Americans have by the US and First Nations by Canada, with a dollop of racism based on skin tone. I'm sure there's a rich vein of Islamophobia there to be exploited.

'Siege is over' after police raid Sydney cafe

The Sydney showdown and Australia's debate over immigration and asylum

Absolutely correct QTR, and worth noting. Australians historically have a dismal record of racism, though I always have hope that the world is slowly changing.

Absolutely correct QTR, and worth noting. Australians historically have a dismal record of racism, though I always have hope that the world is slowly changing.

Sadly, I know about much of it because one of the aforementioned friends from Australia, who may, if her LiveJournal handle is based on her real name, be part of an aboriginal group herself, has reblogged a lot of entries about such things on her Tumblr.

Archived