The Imitation Game. Long overdue recognition. Royal pardon. Start of the Oscar race?

JulianLondon
This topic is 3428 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The hugely moving and world changing story of Alan Turing, who broke the Enigma code and was widely regarded as the father of computer science, is brilliantly portrayed by some superb acting and not surprisingly The Weinstein Company are involved.

Wikipedia -

He devised a number of techniques for breaking German ciphers, including improvements to the pre-war Polish bombe method, an electromechanical machine that could find settings for the Enigma machine. Winston Churchill said that Turing made the single biggest contribution to Allied victory in the war against Nazi Germany.

It has been estimated that Turing's work shortened the war in Europe by as many as two to four years.

Turing was prosecuted in 1952 for homosexual acts, when such behaviour was still criminalised in the UK. He accepted treatment with oestrogen injections (chemical castration) as an alternative to prison. Turing died in 1954, 16 days before his 42nd birthday, from cyanide poisoning. An inquest determined his death a suicide. The Queen granted him a posthumous pardon on 24 December 2013.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25495315

Hopefully this film will be seen by a large worldwide audience and he can receive the recognition he deserved during his life.

Actually I did read it and I see now that you were the originator. I wasn't aware it was forbidden to post similar threads.

I was keen to discuss the man and the results of his work and also the merits of the film than the history of sodomy in American states. As important as that is of course!

It is supposed to be released this Friday the 28th of November in the USA. I can't find it scheduled for playing here in South Florida (at least not yet). Darn. May have to wait on streaming on Amazon, Netflix or HBO etc....?

It opens Friday the 28th in two theatres in LA and two in NYC. It opens in the top ten US cities on December 10th. It won't have a wide release until the 17th. Source here.

You're welcome! Unless I travel to Manhattan, I won't be able to see it until the 17th either. I did that for Third Star (a small-budget independent film Cumberbatch filmed around the time Sherlock first came out that wasn't widely released) and for Joss Whedon's Much Ado About Nothing, although the latter showed up at the local arthouse theatre a couple of weeks later and I went to see it again.

here[/url].

According to today's Miami Herald Imitation Games will not be released in South Florida until Christmas Day, December 25th, see bolded note below:

DEC. 25

Big Eyes: Tim Burton gets serious with this drama recounting the life of the acclaimed 1950s painter Margaret Keane (Amy Adams) and the ensuing battles with her husband (Christoph Waltz), who started taking credit for her work.

The Imitation Game: Benedict Cumberbatch stars as Alan Turing, the eccentric British genius who built a machine (arguably the first computer) that could crack the complicated encryption code used by Nazis in their messages during World War II.

The Interview: Two TV tabloid journalists (James Franco and Seth Rogen) land the scoop of their careers: A sit-down, face-to-face interview with North Korean leader Kim Jung-Un (Randall Park).

Into the Woods: Rob Marshall (Chicago) directs this adaptation of the Broadway musical phenomenon about a witch (Meryl Streep) making life difficult for Little Red Riding Hood (Lilla Crawford), Cinderella (Anna Kendrick), Rapunzel (Mackenzie Mauzy) and Jack (Daniel Huttlestone), the one with the beanstalk. Johnny Depp, Chris Pine Emily Blunt and Lucy Punch round out the star-studded cast.

Unbroken: Joel and Ethan Coen wrote the screenplay and Angelina Jolie directed this retelling of the harrowing experiences of Louis Zamperini (played by Jack O’Connell), the Olympic runner who was captured by the Japanese during World War II.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/entertain...#storylink=cpy

• 4 weeks later...

Good video interview with Actors / director in the movie The Imitation Games:

http://variety.com/video/benedict-cumberbatch-and-keira-knightley-decode-the-imitation-game-at-variety-studio-video/

and AP article via Salt Lake City

Tribune newspaper:

http://www.sltrib.com/entertainment/1877166-155/interview-benedict-cumberbatch-decodes-turing-in?fullpage=1

and lastly, a review of the movie this week published in the Miami Herald:

http://www.miami.com/039the-imitation-game039-pg-13-article

I'm in The Toronto area for Christmas with some of my Northern side of family, and hope to see the moviw with them (but havent found it listed as playing yet locally), so if not, maybe when I return to the south or via Netflix, Amazon, etc later....but must admit, would like to see on the big screen with family + some nice buttered (yea, I know unhealthy, but its Christmas :-) ) popcorn.

Actually I did read it and I see now that you were the originator. I wasn't aware it was forbidden to post similar threads.

I was keen to discuss the man and the results of his work and also the merits of the film than the history of sodomy in American states. As important as that is of course!

Of course is not "forbidden" to post similar, parallel, or

supplementary posts. "Marylander" may have felt understandably

out of joint because he wasn't given due credit.

Giving "credit" is more easily done when writing academic

papers, when you have the time to find out who has written

previously on the topic. Then you can cite them appropriately.

In this forum, some of us are inspired to write posts

because of the "rush of the moment." So we regretfully don't

research who has written previously on the topic. It's

more like writing on "impulse."

Hopefully this explains things a bit more thoroughly.

In the spirit of Alan Turing--the magnificent "Gay Hero

of World War II"--bravo to Marylander for first writing about him;

an "encore" bravo to EuropeanExplorer for expanding upon

this critical, misunderstood and historic figure.

I think this is what Alan Turing would have wanted: friendship

and comradeship for the common good. This is a very special,

private world--we are in this private place, depicting

our most private struggles, losses & wins--together.

BR2

Bit of clarification is always a good thing, thanks Bluray2.

I was certainly suffering from a little "rush of the moment' also I like to think my post had a different approach from "Marylander." I'm glad to see in a recent post of his he enjoyed the film when he saw it recently. I'm now not so sure it will get the Oscar as early screenings seem to have Eddie Redmayne in a "The Theory of Everything" as the favourite. Certainly as far as us Brits are concerned at least. Also for my money he's the winner in the looks department too.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2888997/Eddie-Redmayne-admits-challenging-Theory-role-sent-panic-filming.html

Archived