uberPOP

Steven_Draker
This topic is 3431 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I'm getting the feeling that Armadillo is anti Uber!

But could be a fan of Uber, the concept is very efficient and cost effective. However safety comes first, the drivers must go through fingerprinted background checks, and the insurance issue must be solved before I become fanatical.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But could be a fan of Uber, the concept is very efficient and cost effective. However safety comes first, the drivers must go through fingerprinted background checks, and the insurance issue must be solved before I become fanatical.

And they should be subjected to all local and state regulations as are "regular" cab companies. Short of that, they are skirting the law, and engaging in unfair business practices on many levels. My issue with Uber is safety and fairness.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/11/uber-better-business-bureau-f-rating_n_5969894.html

http://www.bizjournals.com/southflorida/news/2014/10/17/broward-county-cracks-down-on-uber.html

I've looked into their insurance and they are much higher than the various states minimum limits requirements. They, Uber, carry a$1,000,000 liability limit. That's much higher than is required by the various states. As far as background checks I will have to look into that.

Check with you insurance company and tell them you want to drive for Uber. I have asked at AAA and Allied, both said instantly that I would be committing insurance fraud if I drove for Uber under their policies. The test case (current) for this is the one in SF where a young child was killed in a crosswalk by a car driven by a Uber driver. Both his insurance company, and Uber's insurance policy holder, are pointing the fingers at each other over who is responsible.

Another Uber problem in my book, is their policy (obviously not enforced), of driving around unaccompanied children. Wonder what policies they aren't enforcing.

When Abby Ellstrom and her friends at East High School in Denver crave classic chicken nuggets for lunch, the sophomores swipe the Uber icon on one of their smartphones and ride the nine blocks to Chick-fil-A. When they are done, they click Uber again for pickup—and make it back in time for their next class. Each girl gives a few dollars to the one who charged her parents’ account.

Abby, age 15, says she has taken Uber cars to school sports events, the mall, the nail salon and a Big Gigantic concert at Red Rocks Amphitheatre. “We use it all the time,” she says. “We’re a lot more mobile for kids without licenses. It gives us a lot more independence.”

Uber Technologies Inc., with more cars on the road than its rival rideshare car services including Lyft Inc., Sidecar Technologies Inc., Shuddle Inc. and Boost has become a routine form of transportation in some families. Many teens book travel without adults, achieving new levels of autonomy.

Uber, Lyft and Sidecar have explicit policies that forbid children under 18 from establishing an account and riding unaccompanied. Uber says, “Users agree to our terms and conditions when they download the app,” says Uber spokeswoman Kristin Carvell. “We expect them to adhere to them. If we were to discover that someone under 18 had set up an Uber account, the account would be deactivated.” When asked about additional consequences of someone violating the policy, Ms. Carvell said she had nothing further to add.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/when-uber-is-the-family-chauffeur-1418859749?KEYWORDS=uber+unaccompanied

The South Koreans don't screw around. Those macadamia nuts better come on a plate in prison!

SEOUL, South Korea — South Korea has indicted the chief executive officer and local subsidiary of Uber for violating a law governing public transport, becoming the latest jurisdiction to challenge the U.S. taxi-service provider. The Seoul Central District Prosecutors' Office issued the indictment against Chief Executive Travis Kalanick and the firm's Korean unit for violating a law prohibiting individuals or firms without appropriate licenses from providing or facilitating transportation services, an Uber spokeswoman said.

Prosecutors will not make any arrests under the indictment, South Korea's Yonhap News Agency reported earlier on Wednesday. The penalty for breaking the law in question is a prison sentence of up to two years or a maximum fine of 20 million won ($18,121). The prosecutors' office declined to comment."Uber Technologies respects the Korean legal system and will provide its full cooperation," the company said in a statement. Last week, Seoul's city legislature passed a measure to fine Uber drivers not registered as taxi drivers, and offer financial reward for those reporting such individuals. The city's government had repeatedly said Uber was engaged in illegal business activities, an accusation the company denied.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/uber-ceo-indicted-south-korea-over-public-transport-law-n274196

Archived