Ben Whishaw Says There Was A Lot Of Tension Around His Decision To Come Out

Steven_Draker
This topic is 1975 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

http://towleroad.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c730253ef01a3fd3ffa7b970b-800wi

Actor Ben Whishaw, who plays Q in the James Bond franchise and a gay man in the upcoming Lilting, speaking about his decision to come out publicly last year in a new interview with The Sunday Times

"I had a lot of fear in doing it for a long time. And who can say why? I’m not sure I know. Everyone was surprisingly lovely. I hadn’t anticipated that they would be, but they were. It takes courage [to come out] and people have to do it in their own time. It’s hard to have a conversation with people you’ve known your whole life about a very intimate thing. It’s massively weighted with all sorts of stuff, whatever the wider world is saying… it’s an intimate and private and difficult conversation for most people. There is so much tension around doing something like that. I applaud everyone who does it."

Actor Ben Whishaw, who is set to take on the role of Freddie Mercury in an upcoming biopic, has spoken to The Sunday Times Magazine about the courage it takes to come out as gay.

Whishaw, who married his partner Mark Bradshaw last year, discussed the similarities between the character he plays in new movie Lilting and his own life.

In the movie, he plays a gay man struggling to come to terms with the death of his boyfriend and forced to tell his partner’s grieving mother about his relationship with her son for the first time.

On whether he was able to relate to someone who felt they couldn’t come out to their mother, Whishaw said:

"It is hard, I applaud anyone who does it. There is so much tension around doing something like that, that maybe you’re not quite thinking rationally. You can say absurd things because you are in a panic.

Asked about coming out to his own parents, he said:

"I identify with the character in Lilting in as much as I had a lot of fear in doing it for a long time...it takes courage and people have to do it in their own time, which is a negotiation you see happening in the film."

Watch a trailer for Lilting, AFTER THE JUMP...

[video=youtube;I8HhLd07fYY]

"I had a lot of fear in doing it for a long time. And who can say why? I’m not sure I know. Everyone was surprisingly lovely. I hadn’t anticipated that they would be, but they were. It takes courage [to come out] and people have to do it in their own time. It’s hard to have a conversation with people you’ve known your whole life about a very intimate thing. It’s massively weighted with all sorts of stuff, whatever the wider world is saying… it’s an intimate and private and difficult conversation for most people. There is so much tension around doing something like that. I applaud everyone who does it...

In the movie, he plays a gay man struggling to come to terms with the death of his boyfriend and forced to tell his partner’s grieving mother about his relationship with her son for the first time.

On whether he was able to relate to someone who felt they couldn’t come out to their mother, Whishaw said:

"It is hard, I applaud anyone who does it. There is so much tension around doing something like that, that maybe you’re not quite thinking rationally. You can say absurd things because you are in a panic.

"I identify with the character in Lilting in as much as I had a lot of fear in doing it for a long time...it takes courage and people have to do it in their own time, which is a negotiation you see happening in the film."

Yeah, he really turned me on in that Cloud Atlas movie for some reason. Well, I guess I know why. Although he's kind of scrawny for my tastes, I really can't resist a man with dark hair and green eyes. But, get a grip, dude. Coming out is not like climbing Mount Everest or working with an Ebola patient. If that's the most courageous thing you've done, you need to get a spine transplant. And if you got some muscles, too, you would be so hot, it would be unbelievable. I fuckin' love your hair and eyes...

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02212/Ben-Whishaw_2212774b.jpg

http://www.moviepilot.de/files/images/0875/3274/ben-whishaw.jpg

http://www.realbollywood.com/upimages/Ben-Whishaw131935.jpg

http://towleroad.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c730253ef01a3fd3ffa7b970b-800wi

Actor Ben Whishaw, who plays Q in the James Bond franchise and a gay man in the upcoming Lilting, speaking about his decision to come out publicly last year in a new interview with The Sunday Times

"I had a lot of fear in doing it for a long time. And who can say why? I’m not sure I know. Everyone was surprisingly lovely. I hadn’t anticipated that they would be, but they were. It takes courage [to come out] and people have to do it in their own time. It’s hard to have a conversation with people you’ve known your whole life about a very intimate thing. It’s massively weighted with all sorts of stuff, whatever the wider world is saying… it’s an intimate and private and difficult conversation for most people. There is so much tension around doing something like that. I applaud everyone who does it."

Actor Ben Whishaw, who is set to take on the role of Freddie Mercury in an upcoming biopic, has spoken to The Sunday Times Magazine about the courage it takes to come out as gay.

Whishaw, who married his partner Mark Bradshaw last year, discussed the similarities between the character he plays in new movie Lilting and his own life.

Asked about coming out to his own parents, he said:

Watch a trailer for Lilting, AFTER THE JUMP...

[video=youtube;I8HhLd07fYY]

This might actually be a movie with gay characters I'd be willing to see. To some extent I'm not interested anymore in the straight guy/girl rom-coms. For the same reason I'm not really into the gay/buddy/comedy/romance movies either. I unfortunately don't have a group of friends, I doubt some quirky hunk is all of a sudden going to fall in love with me or want to get married. I've decided that fantasy movies like that just upset me more and more because there isn't anything in them I can hope for.

I normally stay away from sad movies too. But this one looks like there is a heart to the story.

Gman

• 4 years later...