Pumpboys and Dinettes at City Center

skynyc
This topic is 3613 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Pumpboys and Dinettes at City Center...

Well, if you like the music of Nashville (the city) and NOT the drama of Nashville (the TV show) then git over to City Center and have a blast.

If you're on a diet this summer and eschewing ice cream, this revival of the folksy Off-Broadway hit from the 80s is a summer treat. You won't walk out edified, but for lite summer fare, this fits the bill.

The music is just plain fun...from the opener "Highway 57" through the jovial "Tips" and two lovely a cappella numbers, and the riotous "Farmer's Tan" (---brown arms, white chest, red neck---) you'll be tapping your foot and shimmying in your seat.

And the cast...well, you know I love Katie Thompson, who played Vashti in Giant, and Hunter Foster slips into his role like a pair of old boots, I haven't found him so engaging since Urinetown. The rest of the cast/musicians are equally engaging.

I admit that I am a big fan of this show. I saw it a number of times when it was Off-Broadway...and honestly, it does get a little bit lost in the largesse of City Center...but I just relaxed and let the fun wash over me.

It's only playing through Saturday night, and I do recommend a cocktail first, preferably bourbon or something equally Southern, as it will just enhance the evening as you slip into the Double Cupp Diner to be served by Prudie and Rhetta, and the boys at the pumps.

Tickets are very reasonable...I had a great seat for $50 (full price) and I know that tdf and tkts have it as well. It's 90 minutes, with an intermission.

Archived