Sex With Strangers

Frankly Rich
This topic is 3571 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Summer fun for New Yorkers as Billy Magnussen, who was so much fun in Vanya and Sonya, et al, now stars in a 2d Stage Comedy Sex With Strangers:

ImageProxy.mvc?bicild=&canary=lkg3mfDai4j4akpKsOOfs%2baZqAkFGI1nmODgXimwFUE%3d0&url=http%3a%2f%2fpbemailmedia.s3.amazonaws.com%2fimages%2fads3%2f062114_Sex%2520With%2520Strangers%2fimages%2f580_02.jpg

7 WEEKS ONLY! BEGINS JULY 8

TICKETS JUST

$59 (reg. $79)

Valid on select performances July 8 – August 24.

3 EASY WAYS TO ORDER:

Online: 2ST.com

Call: (212) 246-4422

Visit: Second Stage Box Office, 305 W. 43rd St.

Use code PBOL

$30 UNDER 30

Summer fun for New Yorkers as Billy Magnussen, who was so much fun in Vanya and Sonya, et al, now stars in a 2d Stage Comedy Sex With Strangers:

ImageProxy.mvc?bicild=&canary=lkg3mfDai4j4akpKsOOfs%2baZqAkFGI1nmODgXimwFUE%3d0&url=http%3a%2f%2fpbemailmedia.s3.amazonaws.com%2fimages%2fads3%2f062114_Sex%2520With%2520Strangers%2fimages%2f580_02.jpg

That picture of Mr. Magnussen doesn’t show for me. I thought his comic timing as Spike in Vanya & Sonia & Masha & Spike was absolutely perfect and that he was just gorgeous, too. Here’s an interview (with a picture from the production of V & S & M & S) from Backstage that I found while researching Mr. Magnussen after seeing the play on Broadway! http://www.backstage.com/interview/5-acting-tips-vanya-and-sonia-and-masha-and-spikes-billy-magnussen I’d love to see Sex With Strangers but alas, I won’t get to NYC until October. :(

TruHart1 :cool:

I was interested to see the Old Globe's production this afternoon of Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike, mainly because I wanted to see how it compared to the show I saw at Lincoln Center last year.

It's still a darn good show. The bf had not seen it and laughed a lot, and he was quite taken with Spike, as played by Tyler Lansing Weaks. Personally, I don't think anyone can top Billy Magnussen, thus posting this here rather than start another thread.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

7 WEEKS ONLY! BEGINS JULY 8

TICKETS JUST

$59 (reg. $79)

Valid on select performances July 8 – August 24.

3 EASY WAYS TO ORDER:

Online: 2ST.com

Call: (212) 246-4422

Visit: Second Stage Box Office, 305 W. 43rd St.

Use code PBOL

$30 UNDER 30

Just an FYI- I've posted a lot of pictures over the years and something with a URL that long has never worked for me

"https://blu171.mail.live.com/Handlers/ImageProxy.mvc?bicild=&canary=lkg3mfDai4j4akpKsOOfs%2baZqAkFGI1nmODgXimwFUE%3d0&url=http%3a%2f%2fpbemailmedia.s3.amazonaws.com%2fimages%2fads3%2f062114_Sex%2520With%2520Strangers%2fimages%2f580_02.jpg[/img]"

Gman

GOOD NEWS! First of all, I loved this play! Second, it's been extended until Aug. 31.

My usual refrain is that New York has plenty of good actors, but a dearth of good new plays. This has both. "Sex With Strangers" is funny, literate, with real characters in an original situation. Anna Gunn's role is totally different from her role in "Breaking Bad," and she is wonderful. Billy Magnussen, who was basically eye candy in "Sasha, Masha, and Spike," has a multi-dimensional role here that he can really get into, and he does. (And yes, he takes his shirt off a few times; wish it were more often!)

The play got a favorable review in the NY Times, but it should have gotten a VERY favorable review, IMHO. I'm sure you will all like it.

I saw it this weekend as well, and would concur with Beethoven that I think most folk would really enjoy this. Not only is the play interesting and engaging, the performances are layered and developed. And yes...hot. (If you're on the far right, you do get a nice brief shot of Billy's ass as he puts on his pants.) Mr. Rich...being a reader, you will appreciate the play's examination of the publishing industry, as it's very timely, and quite interesting. The growing necessity of social media savvy being crucial to the success of any artistic endeavor is a salient point, (which I personally find depressing...LOL).

SPOILERS HERE. Both Magnussen and Gunn are totally believable, and his charisma is almost breathtaking. The character, who has written a non-fiction bestseller called Sex with Strangers is of those men with the confidence to seduce anyone...and Billy's looks and you basically have a sexual WMD. Gunn's reticence cannot holdout for long, and the crux of the play is to determine if she is just another conquest, or is there truly a decent person beneath his literary persona. And she's not completely innocent herself. There's a good amount of simulated and inferred sex, and the woman next to me...(probably about 70) loudly whispered to her friend "Oh, my...he's not even taking his pants off," during one interaction.

Playwright Laura Eason has a number of credits, but I am unfamiliar with her work, but will certainly look for more in the future.

Production values are terrific, and the show runs two hours and a bit including an intermission. Even with the universally strong reviews, and stronger word of mouth, there are lots of discounts...I saw it for $29 on tdf, and had an aisle seat in the 9th row. I suspect this show (which started in Chicago) with only two roles, two fairly straightforward sets, and timely themes will get many regional productions...

Archived