The Last Confession.... in Los Angeles

jackhammer91406
This topic is 3605 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I went to see this play last night. The play is making it's United States Premiere at the Ahmanson Theater here in Los Angeles. It stars David Suchet who is best known for playing Hercule Poirot in 74 TV films on PBS of the Agatha Christie mysteries. The play is the first offering written by Roger Crane.

Back in 1963 Pope John XXlll died shortly before the Second Vatican Council's work was finished. The Council was designed to open the windows of the Church to the world and involved many progressive steps that much of the Curia did not like. The new Pope was Paul IV and under pressure from the Curia, he sought to undo all that had been accomplished and restore the autocratic church that had existed prior to John XXIII. Paul IV served for 15 years. During the last years of his reign, forces within the Church began maneuvering to elect a conservative Pope.

At the same time, the Church was in financial crisis. It is during this time that the Cardinals elect Pope John Paul I. He served only 33 days before meeting his Maker under suspicious circumstances. This play covers the time period just prior to Pope John Paul I's election to Pontiff and the 33 days of his reign.

Told in flashback, the play explores the intrigues of the Curia, the lust for power within the Church and one man's search for God.

Some of the above synopsis was taken from the Chichester Festival Synopsis where the play was first produced.

I found the play very compelling, and a bit confusing for the first 10 minutes as I tried to figure out who all these men dressed in red were. But by the end of the first act I was totally engrossed in the story and the characters.

The performers were all first rate.

David Suchet who plays Cardinal Giovanni Benelli, was masterful as the man who was instrumental in getting Pope John Paul I elected and almost became Pope himself after the death of his friend John Paul I. I cannot say enough positive things about the many layers of his performance.

Staged on a simple, versatile set, the action is crisp, and well defined. The dialogue crackles, especially in the 2nd act as a small committee investigates the death of the Pope.

I totally enjoyed this production.

The show plays until July 7 an then heads to an extended tour of Australia. There are no current dates set in the United States.

Thanks for that information, Jackhammer91406. I have tickets to see the show before it closes. I have read a couple of novels dealing with the theory that Pope John Paul was murdered and found them interesting. Vatican politics can be quite interesting- it's not just gay men on a message board, but men with robes who actually have some power!

But I ask why the play is only seeing one U.S. audience? Is it not of importance, not of relevance, not of quality? Surely as we see stories on the gay mafia at the Vatican, a play on Vatican intrigue should draw some interest. But even the reviewer didn't seem up for it- and who can blame him, given the low expectations? His interest did rise once he learned the story, and that seems to be a testament to the play, so I do look forward to seeing it.

• 2 weeks later...

A friend and I saw this yesterday on its last day of performances. We liked it well enough. I thought it could have cut down on the number of characters for simplicity's sake. It's all talking and no action, which makes it a bit dry, but then, not all murders are exciting. Vatican politics sure are different than I was taught in the Catholic schools. I hope the new pope doesn't end up like this one.

Archived