A Raisin in the Sun

actor61
This topic is 3642 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I'm not well informed on the casting of "A Raisin in the Sun" so there's probably pertinent information that I'm missing but I'm still going to ask the question: why is a "Jewish British Nigerian" (her words) actress playing an iconic African American woman in a classic American play and winning a Tony for it? Was there an exchange made between American and British Equity such as when Lupone did "Les Mis" in the original RSC production in exchange for a British actor appearing on B'way? If the reason put forth is that there was no suitable African American actress available in New York, then I'm really going to be confused. I've been a member of Equity for longer than I care to say and I'm just baffled by the situation. They make big noises about protecting American actors' jobs and then this lovely, apparently very talented, BRITISH woman wins a Tony for playing an AMERICAN character.

Does anyone know the circumstances well enough to enlighten me?

There is an existing thread on this show, but it doesn't answer your question. I couldn't find an answer either. She is a British actress and performed the role with Equity's permission. What went on behind the scenes I can't find. The subject became somewhat meaningless, at least to me, when Jonathan Pryce was allowed to play the Engineer in Miss Saigon. Many US actors could, and did, play that role.

Update: According to http://www.actorsequity.org/docs/news/en_06_2014.pdf, Sophie Okonedo is a member of American Equity as she is listed in "our members" who have received Tony nominations..

There is an existing thread on this show, but it doesn't answer your question. I couldn't find an answer either. She is a British actress and performed the role with Equity's permission. What went on behind the scenes I can't find. The subject became somewhat meaningless, at least to me, when Jonathan Pryce was allowed to play the Engineer in Miss Saigon. Many US actors could, and did, play that role.

Update: According to http://www.actorsequity.org/docs/news/en_06_2014.pdf, Sophie Okonedo is a member of American Equity as she is listed in "our members" who have received Tony nominations..

In addition, Sophie Okonedo's dad died in Florida, so he may well have become an American citizen who lived in the U.S. for decades. But Frankly Rich nailed it; she is a member of American Equity.

Archived