The City of Conversation

skynyc
This topic is 3592 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

This newest show at Lincoln Center's Mitzi Newhouse theater, which has gotten great reviews, is about to get one more. Easy to recommend, I would love to hear other comments about this...and will try not to give too many spoilers.

An intriguing and provoking glimpse into the workings of the political "hostess" of the second half of the twentieth century, in the vein of Perle Mesta and Pamela Harriman. A lost era when politicians could escape the capital and meet socially over drinks and dinner to discuss the issues in a somewhat less contentious, dare I say bi-partisan, manner.

Jan Maxwell, who has been nominated for five Tonys (at least once in the each of the four acting categories,) stars as Hester Ferris - accurately described as a Liberal social lioness. When her adult son returns from school with his new fiance in tow, Hester recognizes the ambition in the young woman and immediately calls her out--but worse than her ambition: Anna Fitzgerald is a staunch Conservative.

Maxwell's character is the most complex in the play...and several of the others could certainly use the same development...but it's fascinating to watch Hester wear her inclinations on her sleeve, not always in the most likable manner. The short first act almost leaves the audience wondering exactly which of the two women is our heroine.

The first scene of Act Two immediately dispels this question, but Hester's motivations are still questionable and it's fascinating to see this character make a tremendous decision at a terrible cost. And the question still remains: was it the right decision?

Over the three decades and six presidents we see the ebb and flow of both ideologies and while it's very clear which way the playwright leans, there is nothing black and white about the issues, (except perhaps to Hester and Anna.)

Part of me wonders if this play will transfer to a smaller Broadway house like it's Newhouse-relative "Other Desert Cities". I have heard that most of the run is sold out...(currently running thru 7/6.) I got my ticket as a Lincoln Center Member for $52.

Thanks for sharing your opinion, skynyc. There are two existing threads on this show. Foxy's came first, and has the most responses, so here it is:

http://www.companyofmen.org/showthread.php?98114-The-City-of-Conversation&highlight=Conversation

You can use the search tool to find out if a show has already been discussed. Here I entered "conversation" to come up with the two threads.

• 1 month later...

RUN!! Last week. This show is amazing. One of the best I've seen in a long time. Compelling, dramatic and very well acted. Jan Maxwell is amazing. No discounts but a limited number of full price ($87) seats are available for some performances.

https://www.telecharge.com/Off-Broadway/The-City-of-Conversation/Overview?AID=VEN000093000&cm_mmc=Lincoln-Center-_-affiliate-_-web-_-VEN000093000&cm_mmca1=venue&cm_mmca2=ALCTCI&cm_mmca3=140311

Not a dry eye left in the house at the end.

ED

Archived