Last night's Cenerentola

MrMiniver
This topic is 3684 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Well, Juan Diego was in splendid form last night even if he still seemed a little "not over" his illness. The audience went stark raving mad over him and, yes, he ENCORED the Act 2 cabaletta. I asked him backstage afterwards and he said that "management" specifically asked him if he'd be willing and he said "if the audience wants it." I asked him about whether or not he will do it for the HD (an encore has never been done on the HD series) and he just smiled and said "we will have to see." My gut says it won't happen but I'm very much hoping for it ....

The performance last night was terrific, Joyce was in top form. For bel canto lovers, this spring has been pretty glorious!

I am hoping that the MET will issue the upcoming DiDonato/Florez Cenerentola on DVD. However, I doubt that will be the case as they already have released a quite splendid version featuring Garanca and Brownlee. Plus, Decca already has issued a DVD with DiDonato and Florez. The problem with the later concerns the fact that for some reason a corrupt edition of the score was utilized as reviews mention crashing cymbals during the overture and throughout the opera proper even though there is absolutely no percussion in Rossini's autograph upon which the critical edition of the score is based. So it will probably be a missed opportunity as both protagonists have certainly matured and grown in their respective roles since the commercial releases of their live performances. As good as Di Donato is in her Naxos CD from the Rossini in Wildbad Festival, she is infinitely better in her current run at the MET. Likewise Florez in his CD from the Rossini Opera Festival from relatively early in his career, while quite good, is a shadow of his present self.

Still there are two DVD's featuring Florez in Fille... one with and one without the encore. Of course if the Cenerentola encore happens that might be reason enough to sanction a release!!! So,"We will have to see"!

I am hoping that the MET will issue the upcoming DiDonato/Florez Cenerentola on DVD. However, I doubt that will be the case as they already have released a quite splendid version featuring Garanca and Brownlee. Plus, Decca already has issued a DVD with DiDonato and Florez. The problem with the later concerns the fact that for some reason a corrupt edition of the score was utilized as reviews mention crashing cymbals during the overture and throughout the opera proper even though there is absolutely no percussion in Rossini's autograph upon which the critical edition of the score is based. So it will probably be a missed opportunity as both protagonists have certainly matured and grown in their respective roles since the commercial releases of their live performances. As good as Di Donato is in her Naxos CD from the Rossini in Wildbad Festival, she is infinitely better in her current run at the MET. Likewise Florez in his CD from the Rossini Opera Festival from relatively early in his career, while quite good, is a shadow of his present self.

Still there are two DVD's featuring Florez in Fille... one with and one without the encore. Of course if the Cenerentola encore happens that might be reason enough to sanction a release!!! So,"We will have to see"!

I think you're right that it's more likely Decca that will have the issue. I know that Florez is perfectly happy to have multiple DVDs of his various roles but often the record companies insist on exclusivity. This is what prevented the MET Barbiere from being released on DVD although that might have eventually happened but it was held up for years.

No encore but...

So many Cenerentola threads here. In any event, I thought that today's broadcast (5/10/2014) as heard (and not seen) was phenomenal. As I mentioned in the other (encore) thread voices and interpretations change. Both Florez and DiDonato have grown as artists since their commercial recordings of their respective roles. Their voices probably sounded fresher earlier on. However, in matters of embellishment and phrasing they have both matured.

This was certainly one of the best performances of this opera that I have ever heard. I sincerely hope that it is commercially released. As mentioned in my posting above there are duplicate performances already available, but I think that this one is somehow special. I doubt anyone from the MET monitors this board, but if they do I'm requesting that they consider this for release sooner rather then later.

It would be interesting to get reactions from those in the house... How about it WmM... plus those who have seen the theater transmission.

So many Cenerentola threads here. In any event, I thought that today's broadcast (5/10/2014) as heard (and not seen) was phenomenal. As I mentioned in the other (encore) thread voices and interpretations change. Both Florez and DiDonato have grown as artists since their commercial recordings of their respective roles. Their voices probably sounded fresher earlier on. However, in matters of embellishment and phrasing they have both matured.

This was certainly one of the best performances of this opera that I have ever heard. I sincerely hope that it is commercially released. As mentioned in my posting above there are duplicate performances already available, but I think that this one is somehow special. I doubt anyone from the MET monitors this board, but if they do I'm requesting that they consider this for release sooner rather then later.

It would be interesting to get reactions from those in the house... How about it WmM... plus those who have seen the theater transmission.

And there's no real reason for it to be commercially released. There will be multiple copies on the internet to download in the next few days so it will be preserved and it will be shown on PBS later.

And there's no real reason for it to be commercially released. There will be multiple copies on the internet to download in the next few days so it will be preserved and it will be shown on PBS later.

MrM... It seems you that changed your mind regarding a possible release. Though I can understand the position from the perspective of a record company. Actually I am away from my home base and was not able to record it. Furthermore, by that reasoning NONE of the MET's videos should have been released. Plus, as you mentioned above "Florez is perfectly happy to have multiple" recordings of his work available. Examples: two Barbiere DVD's and 1 CD, two Fille DVD's, a DVD and CD each of Ory and Matilde Shabran.

In addition, while over the years I have downloaded or recorded many a performance and edited many as well for my private collection it is always nice to have a professionally produced version as the sound quality is always better and I am a bit of an audiophile. So that's from where I'm coming.

So where can one download multiple copies on the internet? All the sites I knew of have been shut down. Perhaps I have missed something out there. Thanks!

MrM... It seems you that changed your mind regarding a possible release. Though I can understand the position from the perspective of a record company. Actually I am away from my home base and was not able to record it. Furthermore, by that reasoning NONE of the MET's videos should have been released. Plus, as you mentioned above "Florez is perfectly happy to have multiple" recordings of his work available. Examples: two Barbiere DVD's and 1 CD, two Fille DVD's, a DVD and CD each of Ory and Matilde Shabran.

In addition, while over the years I have downloaded or recorded many a performance and edited many as well for my private collection it is always nice to have a professionally produced version as the sound quality is always better and I am a bit of an audiophile. So that's from where I'm coming.

So where can one download multiple copies on the internet? All the sites I knew of have been shut down. Perhaps I have missed something out there. Thanks!

No, I haven't changed my mind. I think it should be released (and I'm pretty sure it will be) but I'm just saying that if it isn't it won't be too big of a loss as it is readily available online.

As for "profesionally produced version" I hate to tell you that there will be little difference between what went out on the Live in HD from the "professionally produced" version. Certainly not sound-wise. They use the exact same sound track on the DVDs that they do in the HDs. There is no difference. No re-encoding, nothing. Unless there was a major hiccup and they have to splice something in ... and even then it's not better sound, just different sound. That's why I stopped buying the DVD copies. Because when I compared them on my surround sound system with the stuff I get from the satellite in Europe there was not a big of difference. No wonder the MET -- and others -- try to shut this down.

The other thing I like is that the DVD release edits the interviews and intermission features and you lose a great deal of spontanaiety. I love having it "as it appeared."

Just my two cents worth.

No, I haven't changed my mind. I think it should be released (and I'm pretty sure it will be) but I'm just saying that if it isn't it won't be too big of a loss as it is readily available online.

As for "profesionally produced version" I hate to tell you that there will be little difference between what went out on the Live in HD from the "professionally produced" version. Certainly not sound-wise. They use the exact same sound track on the DVDs that they do in the HDs. There is no difference. No re-encoding, nothing. Unless there was a major hiccup and they have to splice something in ... and even then it's not better sound, just different sound. That's why I stopped buying the DVD copies. Because when I compared them on my surround sound system with the stuff I get from the satellite in Europe there was not a big of difference. No wonder the MET -- and others -- try to shut this down.

The other thing I like is that the DVD release edits the interviews and intermission features and you lose a great deal of spontanaiety. I love having it "as it appeared."

Just my two cents worth.

Unfortunately, I often can tell the difference... It's the curse of the audiophile "golden ears"... even though the differences are subtle and might not be obvious to the average individual. Now my question is where is the best place to download it online... Not being a videophile, I would be quite happy with the audio-only version. Thanks!

Unfortunately, I often can tell the difference... It's the curse of the audiophile "golden ears"... even though the differences are subtle and might not be obvious to the average individual. Now my question is where is the best place to download it online... Not being a videophile, I would be quite happy with the audio-only version. Thanks!

I'm an audiophile as well and I detect no difference and my system actually compares and the "sound profile" is even exactly the same. It may be that you are not getting the best possible satellite HD versions from Europe like I am.

If you'd PM me I can give you the names of some of the sites ... almost all require membership and an invitation but it's worth taking a look at them.

Archived