London Theatre

BoogieNights
This topic is 3739 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Spent last week in London and had the wonderful opportunity to see three musicals. Here's some thoughts:

Stephen Ward - by Andrew Lloyd Webber - Very Dark.. An interesting show on UK politics of the 60's... but ultimately unmemorable. Would never play anywhere else.... No real show stopping numbers except for a delicious power ballad during the 11hour number by Profumo's wife... comes out of no where by a character that hasn't been in the show at all. Andrew had to get in a soprano's love song like all his other work. A semi-ish trial musical with flashbacks... For a really good trial musical... go see a revival of PARADE.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Loved it. Of course over the top, glitz... None of the original music from the beloved movie... except for Pure Imagination at the very end... It was strange to have it sung at the end instead of when the Chocolate room and oompaa loompas were revealed... Surprisingly, the story held up really well with all the amazing characters. The kids were delightful.. the staging clever.. the oompaa lommpaas super clever. I highly recommend!

The Bodyguard - Great true adaptation of the movie. I was just a little bored because Whitney ballad after ballad after ballad gets a little old... Don't get me wrong.. I love me some Whitney... amazing songs each and every one... just try sitting through 15 of them in a row... Farmer was hot.. as were the 4 shirtless chorus boy dancers...

Archived