Raising cancer awareness

Steven_Draker
This topic is 3764 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

World Cancer Day 2014 (February 4th, 2014) focuses on Target 5 of the World Cancer Declaration: Reduce stigma and dispel myths about cancer, under the tagline “Debunk the myths”.

MYTHS

http://www.worldcancerday.org/sites/wcd/files/styles/wcd_myths_pages/public/thumbnails/image/myths.jpg?itok=kHQVhDiL

World Cancer Day is a chance to raise our collective voices in the name of improving general knowledge around cancer and dismissing misconceptions about the disease. From a global level, we are focusing our messaging on the four myths above. In addition to being in-line with our global advocacy goals, these overarching myths leave a lot of flexibility for members, partners and supporters to adapt and expand on for their own needs.

• Cancer is a leading cause of death worldwide: it accounted for 7.9 million deaths (around 13% of all deaths) in 2007.
  • Cancer is a major public health problem in the United States.
  • Lung, stomach, liver, colon and breast cancer cause the most cancer deaths each year.
  • The most frequent types of cancer differ between men and women.
  • About 30% of cancer deaths can be prevented.
  • Tobacco use is the single most important risk factor for cancer.
  • Cancer arises from a change in one single cell. The change may be started by external agents and inherited genetic factors.
  • About 72% of all cancer deaths in 2007 occurred in low- and middle-income countries.
  • Deaths from cancer worldwide are projected to continue rising, with an estimated 12 million deaths in 2030.
  • Currently, 1 in 4 deaths in the United States is due to cancer.

more: http://worldcancerday.org

http://www.statesmenathletics.com/images/2011-12/Cancer%20Awareness%20Ribbon.jpg

Thank you Steven. I lost a close friend to cancer in 2013 and it made me think of the HUGE NUMBERS OF PEOPLE who are affected by this horrible disease. If you take every loss and combine it with those diagnosed, it is a scary number. Now take the survivors and all the families and friends of the above and you will have multimillions of people affected.

Take care of yourselves and all those you come in touch with.

Boston Bill

Steve, thanks for the post. I am cancer survivor. It will be one year in may. To all, never avoid what your body is trying to say to you. I just thought that I was tired from working the long hours. Well, I was wrong. Thanks to a great group of doctors and nurses and after almost two years of chemo I am still here.

Steve, thanks for the post. I am cancer survivor. It will be one year in may. To all, never avoid what your body is trying to say to you. I just thought that I was tired from working the long hours. Well, I was wrong. Thanks to a great group of doctors and nurses and after almost two years of chemo I am still here.

Welcome to the forum psguy, and sending you the best of wishes for your on going success. Two years of Chemo must have been a rough road. Both my friends and my mother who succumb to cancer told me the same thing about being tired when they were finally diagnosed. Most people are afraid of what the truth might be. You are correct about listening to your body. Both admitted that they had been tired for months. Had they reacted sooner, to what their bodies were saying, they might have survived past middle age...

Listen....

Steven, thanks for posting this thread. It is so important. And thanks to those survivors who have battled this disease for responding.

FEAR is probably the number one reason people don't get professional advice and diagnosis when they don't feel well. Fear. Such a small word, with such a huge impact. Most of my friends here know of my journey for the past 5 years battling Leukemia, then Prostate cancer, then skin cancer. Has it been easy...no. Am I cancer free now? Yes according to my doctors as of yesterday. I have issues from having an immune system that has been beaten and battered. Last year nearly died of pneumonia. (Yeah I smoke for 45 years but quit 7 years ago).

Two weeks ago I came down with skittles , er I mean shingles. Just when I thought I had been through the worst.

Anyway, the point of all this is when your body talks to you....listen. Then go and see someone about it. Do research, study, learn, and most of all don't give up.

Treat yourself like you would treat a loved one...care and do ....for yourself.

Steven, thanks for posting this thread. It is so important. And thanks to those survivors who have battled this disease for responding.

FEAR is probably the number one reason people don't get professional advice and diagnosis when they don't feel well. Fear. Such a small word, with such a huge impact. Most of my friends here know of my journey for the past 5 years battling Leukemia, then Prostate cancer, then skin cancer. Has it been easy...no. Am I cancer free now? Yes according to my doctors as of yesterday. I have issues from having an immune system that has been beaten and battered. Last year nearly died of pneumonia. (Yeah I smoke for 45 years but quit 7 years ago).

Two weeks ago I came down with skittles , er I mean shingles. Just when I thought I had been through the worst.

Anyway, the point of all this is when your body talks to you....listen. Then go and see someone about it. Do research, study, learn, and most of all don't give up.

Treat yourself like you would treat a loved one...care and do ....for yourself.

[/color][/size][/font]

Hats off the a true gentleman who is not just a cancer survivor but a LIFE SURVIVOR who has been a constant inspiration to me (and many others) with his marvelous positive outlook on life.

Boston Bill

First of all thanks guys for the encouraging words. One of the reasons that I know I made it was because of my friends. They were the ones who kept saying we know you are going to make it. They were right and after each scuccessful ct scan we celebrate.

To jackhammer congrats to you on the latest news. May the good news continue.

Archived