Drinkers Rights & DUI Laws

ready182
This topic is 7589 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cell Phones, Police Immunity, Zero DUI Tolerance, etc

My fellow posters have reminded me that studies have shown that talking on a cell phone while driving is MORE DANGEROUS than drinking and driving. Therefore, in fairness, either we need to make the penalties for talking on the cell phone and driving MORE SEVERE than those for drinking an driving, or we need to revise DUI laws to make them FAIR & BALANCED.

After all, someone who is killed by a drunk driver is no more dead than someone killed by a distracted driver -- let's recognize that the "distracted driver" is far more dangerous than the "moderately drinking" driver - yet the moderate drinker is the one targeted for "quality of life" destruction. How many people can keep their job w/o their drivers license???

For those "Zero Tolerance" people who belive no circumstance of "drinking and driving" is acceptable, I invite them to only practice 100% safe sex, which of course means no sex at all.

I also noticed no one commented on my observation that police are usually immune to DUI infractions.

Still politically incorrect - Ready

Deej,

Re: your comment "As someone who didn't drive for 20 years", I refer you to my line in my original post "... and who don't have the option to walk/cab/subway/bus home". Clearly, you must have had transportation "options" other than driving for the last 20 years -- therefore you can hardly assume that you understand lifestyles of Rural Americans who live in remote towns like Buttfuck, Ohio. Assuming that you are a drinker, and assuming that you do not have a dedicated designated driver continually at your disposal, I challenge you to live for 30+ days in a rural community where the nearest social gathering and associated "beer with friends" is 3+ miles away. If you did, your understanding of this issue might change significantly.

Opening city-boy eyes -- Ready

RE: Cell Phones, Police Immunity, Zero DUI Tolerance, etc

>My fellow posters have reminded me that studies have shown

>that talking on a cell phone while driving is MORE DANGEROUS

>than drinking and driving.

Oh yeah? What does that mean, "more dangerous"? Does it mean more people get killed by drivers using cell phones each year than by drunk drivers? I find that very, very hard to believe. Tell you what. Why don't you post links to two or three of those "studies" here. Or you could just admit you made that shit up.

>let's

>recognize that the "distracted driver" is far more dangerous

>than the "moderately drinking" driver

You seem to have this pattern of making arguments that depend on assumptions for which you have no evidence. What do you base the above assumption on, other than your desire to indulge yourself before getting behind the wheel?

>For those "Zero Tolerance" people who belive no circumstance

>of "drinking and driving" is acceptable, I invite them to only

>practice 100% safe sex, which of course means no sex at all.

I invite you to explain how you can compare risks taken by two consenting adults who know exactly what they are doing with the risks posed by an alcohol-impaired driver who gets behind the wheel without the knowledge or consent of other drivers.

>Still politically incorrect - Ready

"Still slinging bullshit" would be a better tag line for you.

Archived