Tom Clancy has died.

Chris Eisenhower
This topic is 3901 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I seldom read fiction but I was absolutely enthralled reading "Hunt for Red October" when it first came out. I also enjoyed the film adaptation which was excellent. I also enjoyed "Patriot Games", however, I thought the film was gawd awful. I also understand that most people, in the know, thought his background research was outstanding. He was also one hell of a great businessman and made a fortune licensing his name. He will definitely be missed

Of course. He's an amazing author.

I'll lose my shit when Stephen King dies, although I don't like his more recent works. But The Shining and 'Salem's Lot are must-reads for fall.

I totally agree with you about Stephen King. The Shining is one of my all time favorites. He has recently released a new work called Doctor Sleep which is "a return to the territory of The Shining". I'm going to reread The Shining and then read the sequel. My all time favorite is one of his first works The Stand which is a battle of Good and Evil. GREAT

Boston Bill

Tom Clancy is one of the greatest "fiction" writers in US history, as far as I am concerned. I am so saddened by his passing. His last couple of books have been written with another author, but they are still classics. His research was always outstanding and part of his genius was his ability to get tidbits of information from his military sources and extrapolate from there. Hunt For Red October is a book that I have read several times, as well as watched the movie many time. His last book is also so much fun, based as it is on the current cyber war between the US and China. RIP, TOM, thousands who have never met you in person mourn your passing.

DD

I totally agree with you about Stephen King. The Shining is one of my all time favorites. He has recently released a new work called Doctor Sleep which is "a return to the territory of The Shining". I'm going to reread The Shining and then read the sequel. My all time favorite is one of his first works The Stand which is a battle of Good and Evil. GREAT

Boston Bill

One thing (obviously) about the Great Triumvirate from Mr. King (The Shining, The Stand, and 'Salem's Lot) is that they hold up. I tried rereading IT about five years ago and keep in mind this was a book that I literally could not put down when I first read it. Same goes for The Talisman. I could barely get through it the last time I tried.

I'll lose my shit when Stephen King dies, although I don't like his more recent works. But The Shining and 'Salem's Lot are must-reads for fall.

I am just beginning to read Doctor Sleep which has an adult Danny Torrance from The Shining. I was first hooked when I read the dust cover of Salem’s Lot in the library so many years ago. I checked that book out, became fearful that vampires were actually roaming our cities during the time I was reading it (and that was before all the popularity that vampires now seem to garner), then went back to read everything Mr. King had written! I have never missed a King book since, some disappointing but some great reads!

I have discovered Stephen’s son, Joe Hill, who is definitely a “chip off the old block” but with a more modern, even punk edge in his first works. Now father and son sometimes reference each other’s characters in their respective newer novels, if they can work it in logically. If you like King, you might want to check out Joe Hill’s fiction. I also have read Mr. King’s other son’s (Owen King) fiction. Owen writes in a completely different voice than Stephen or Joe Hill and he publishes about one novel for every 3 or 4 released by his dad or his brother.

TruHart1:cool:

Boston Bill

'Salem's Lot and The Stand are my favorites, but I also really liked the Dark Tower series, overall and am enjoying Joyland, at the halfway point.

It's a shame that so many of the movies made from his books were bad! (And I find that especially ironic, since when I read Salem's Lot, I kept visualizing scenes, reminiscent of the better Hammer Studios horror films.)

I was first hooked when I read the dust cover of Salem’s Lot in the library so many years ago. I checked that book out, became fearful that vampires were actually roaming our cities during the time I was reading it (and that was before all the popularity that vampires now seem to garner), then went back to read everything Mr. King had written! I have never missed a King book since, some disappointing but some great reads!

The blue chalk! I love the snippets of 'Salem's Lot that show up in some of SK's short stories too (Night Shift, I think?) And I believe Father Mc is actually a much more fleshed out character in TDT series.

The blue chalk! I love the snippets of 'Salem's Lot that show up in some of SK's short stories too (Night Shift, I think?) And I believe Father Mc is actually a much more fleshed out character in TDT series.

Yes Chris, that’s another thing Stephen King likes to do. If he sets a novel or story in that mythical New England city of Castle Rock, Maine or environs, he will refer to characters in passing from his other works. Also, if you have read his books one after another over the years, you can discern his major life experiences as he brings those events into his writing, e.g. after his near death by being hit and thrown by a van whose driver did not see him walking on the side of the road and his subsequent convalescence of over a year, (he says he still has pain) for two or three years afterward he wrote characters who had been through that type of trauma. The Dark Tower series, which was written over a span of almost his entire writing career, not only refers to Salem’s Lot but many of his other books too. He even has his group of heroes in The Dark Tower novels meet Stephen King himself!

TruHart1:cool:

Archived