Paradiso

elliotpierce
This topic is 3885 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I apologize right up front for the length of this reply.

You wrote Paradiso. Did you mean Paraiso? If you are talking about the Iberostar Paraiso Maya it is located in the Mexican state of Yucatan directly on the beach between Cancun and Playa del Carmen. It is an all-inclusive resort that caters to families many of whom fly in, on direct flight, from the U.S. Midwest and Canada.

Now what I am about to say is going to be strong and blunt but it is only My opinion and I’m sure many will disagree with me. I love Mexico and spend a lot of time there. The one part of Mexico that I absolutely loath is the Rivera Maya which includes the Caribbean coast from Cancun to Tulum.

The beach at Cancun is wall to wall high rise hotels full of over-weight drunk Midwestern straight couples. There is absolutely nothing resembling Mexico in this area. I have always said that Cancun is an American beach resort that by some sort of accident happened to land in Mexico. As one heads toward Tulum the area becomes less offensive. Playa del Carmen was once a charming Mexican village but has now become a less offensive extension of Cancun. The main street is a pedestrian only with one restaurant and tourist shop after another. Continuing on one arrives at Tulum. The Maya ruins there, although of minor historical significance, are drop dead gorgeous as they sit on a cliff overlooking the Caribbean. The tourist area of Tulum extends for some miles along the coast and consists of one small bed and breakfast after another. Many of these B&B’s have thatched roof units that don’t have electricity in the evenings. They sit directly on the beach so when you walk out of your room you are on the sand.

If you are looking for night life and clubs you will need to stay in Cancun. To the best of my knowledge there isn’t much in the way of gay action in the Cancun area. If you are looking for a gay friendly beach resort with lots of gay nightlife available then consider Puerto Vallarta. In the past I would also have recommended Acapulco but because of cartel violence the tourist trade there is damn near dead.

You have to be careful as to what time of the year you visit. May through August will be extremely hot and extremely humid. September through October is the hurricane season. The weather is usually quite nice December through April with the best months to visit January and February.

Now I will conclude by saying that if you are visiting the area with a client then by all means go for it. It will be an interesting experience as long as you know what to expect and don’t plan on seeing the “real” Mexico

Well put. I appreciate your informative and well-thought out response. I actually meant Paradiso, however. The gay circuit event in Playa Del Carmen during Thanksgiving weekend. Heres a link so you can have an idea of what it is - http://www.paradiso.mx - It actually looks like it could be tons of fun. I may just have to check it out. :)

Sorry about the incorrect reply. My only question is why go that far and spend that much money for that type of weekend when you can find the exact same thing at a number of location here in the States. In my NOT so humble opinion if you spend the money to go to Mexico then go to Mexico and see the real thing not some second rate version of, for example, the Palm Springs White Party.

Archived