Being the Lone Ranger

jackhammer91406
This topic is 3963 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

OK, I am probably the only person, (based on the box office figures) and being of an age where I remember the radio and television versions with fondness, I am not embarrassed to say I enjoyed this movie. Of course there will be those who are quick to point out that if I enjoyed this movie, I couldn't possibly have ANY taste or intelligence. All I would say to them is: Opinions are cheap, even mine. My opinion is this is a great popcorn movie designed to take me away from my cares of the day and transport me back to an easier time. But then I have always been able to leave my critical self at the door when I knew the movie was only designed to be an entertainment, not a treatise on world civilizations. The William Tell overture has always meant THE LONE RANGER to me.

It isn't a secret that I had the same reaction to John Carter and we all know what a bomb the critical world deemed that movie.

In this movie I found the device introducing the Tonto character to be interesting and fun. I know the press on the movie has been awful almost from the first day, but I sat there with all of the other members of the audience attending with me, involved and enjoying the movie all the way to the last frame (do movies even have frames anymore?).

I don't know how to characterize the movie (yes, probably should call it a movie since it is not highbrow enough to be a film). Though it is set in a historical western era, it feels more like a buddy movie. The set pieces are spectacular, Utah has never looked better and when the Rossini overture is finally used in the greatest action sequence in the movie, it is played to full effect and I confess there was a tingling in my spine when I heard those thrilling strains begin. Or perhaps it is a neurological disorder stemming from advanced age.

In any case, I have no reservations recommending this movie to people who can go and just have a good time at the movies. If you can't do that, don't go. People who know me in the real world tend to trust my judgement (not that you should).

If you see it, be sure to have some milk duds and popcorn because it is that kind of movie.

OK... being of an age where I remember the radio and television versions... The William Tell overture has always meant THE LONE RANGER... and when the Rossini overture is finally used in the greatest action sequence in the movie, it is played to full effect and I confess there was a tingling in my spine when I heard those thrilling strains begin. Or perhaps it is a neurological disorder stemming from advanced age.
Thanks JH for the review. Based on what I have heard I was not even sure if the Overture to Guillaume Tell was even used in the film... but how could it not be!!! ...and it was seemingly used to rest effect!!! (I purposely used the original French to elevate the Lone Ranger to "film" status thus making it worthy of the arts forum...)

In any event, I only go back as far as the TV shows, and as a kid that was de rigueur on a Saturday afternoon. Consequently I might just give this one a shot. At any rate, I personally have a weak spot or anything Rossinian... and I don't consider it a neurological disorder... even though some here might indeed think that to be the case!!!!

I just saw it tonight. I found it very entertaining, it never dragged, the action sequences were ridiculous but amusing, the acting also ridiculous at times but amusing. I am bothered about situations where the music is impossible for the scene being depicted. So there is a scene for the official joining of the rails of the transcontinental railroad, and the band at the ceremony is playing "Stars and Stripes Forever." Oops! That wasn't written until several decades later. (Things like that jump out at me.) Then after the film I'm thinking it over and rationalized it as consistent with the framing of the story - that is, it is all being told in retrospect by a very elderly Native American man in a circus exhibit to a little boy, so this "tall tale" is the tale he spins, and historical accuracy of any kind is not to be expected because it is full of whoppers.

Archived