I want my hat back.

Chris Eisenhower
This topic is 3970 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Somehow I stumbled across a story about a controversial children's book called I Want My Hat Back. There is an animated version of the book on YouTube, with the link below, which is just fascinating to watch. Apparently the book is somewhat controversial because of the themes of theft and murder that one doesn't normally find in a book for children. I thought the video was brilliantly done, and the music is amazing and is one of those times when a piece fits the mood of the visual work exactly.

Enjoy.

[video=youtube;yM8POv-1n2M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=fvwp&v=yM8POv-1n2M

Yes it was brilliantly done. I did love the music, the animation and the story, but I did find it disturbing that they would approach this kind of subject matter in a children's book. I think that a child could interpret many things from the video. I would love to hear the thoughts from those that put this together. That I would find fascinating.

I know, right? After seeing the video and reading the comments about the book I was a little surprised that someone would come up with this as a book idea. I guess the way it struck me was that "lies beget lies" and that the rabbit created a situation that he couldn't escape from. And by being violent, the bear turned himself into something that was no better than the rabbit. Granted, it would take some explaining from a parent or teacher to get this point across... but children are often more sophisticated than they appear.

I know, right? After seeing the video and reading the comments about the book I was a little surprised that someone would come up with this as a book idea. I guess the way it struck me was that "lies beget lies" and that the rabbit created a situation that he couldn't escape from. And by being violent, the bear turned himself into something that was no better than the rabbit. Granted, it would take some explaining from a parent or teacher to get this point across... but children are often more sophisticated than they appear.

Your points are well taken, and I actually did not see that at first. My take on it was that the bear benefitted by killing the rabbit, because in the end he got what he wanted, and that was his hat back, and there weren't any repercussions toward him. Now granted that is a much more simplistic view of the video, and let's hope that as you say, "children are more sophisticated than they appear" and actually are able to see your more humane and decent take on the story.

Educators often use what are thought of as "children's books" with older students to teach larger lessons about the consequences of lying and how one seemingly simple act can have tragic consequences. I can't wait I share this with grad students this fall! The music really adds to the sense of foreboding...quite well done!

I agree about the animation and the music; both were brilliant. It's difficult for music to give a sense of foreboding without going over the top. This music strikes the perfect balance.

I can't really comment about whether the book/short film are appropriate for children because I don't know what the target age group is. Books, TV shows, and films for children usually come with an intended age range: all ages, 5-8, 10+. If we're talking about 5-year-olds, the themes are a little too intense, in my opinion. But 10-year-olds are old enough to read about murders on the Internet; they're not going to be shocked.

For me, the most significant theme was not theft, anger, or killing, but guilt. Compare the rabbit's response, "why would I steal a hat?", to that of the other (innocent) animals, who simply state that they haven't seen the hat. Then when the squirrel asks the bear, sporting his recently recovered hat, about his friend the rabbit, instead of a simple no, the bear comes back with "why are you asking me?" It's like a children's version of "out out, damn spot!"

Archived