DOMA overturned

Kevin Slater
This topic is 3997 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I was waiting hopeful for Wednesday's decisions for a long time. Thrilled about the two decisions.

Twenty-four hours earlier I was devastated by the Supreme Court's gutting of the Voting Right Act of 1965, perhaps the most important 1960s Civil Rights law of several passed by Congress and signed by Pres. Johnson. It's Friday, and I am still devastated, sad personally because I can not fully join in with everyone else here. The Court's make-up is such that the conservative justices have a slight advantage, because Justice Kennedy, the swing vote, sides with the conservatives more than the liberals. It does not help that the most important decisions are announced on the last three days of this term.

Perhaps the decision on the Voting Rights Act will convince many more people to vote next year than would normally do so in off-year congressional races, both in the House and Senate. So there may be at least a short-term silver lining. I shall stop here, because it's a good way to end these comments.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived