Comedy of Errors at the Delacorte in Central Park.

skynyc
This topic is 4003 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hello gentlemen...

Just had a fun evening with one of Shakespeare's earliest works...and probably his silliest. Many of the themes are there...suspected infidelity, shrewish women, mistaken identity, regional rivalries, but here, (and especially in this interpretation), they are laugh-out-loud funny.

Set in the 40s in Upstate NY, our heroes, (or one set of them) have arrived in Ephesus from Syracuse...(as brightly portrayed on the Adirondack Trailways Bus Depot.)

There, they are mistaken for leading citizens, and cause no end of complications.

Every situation is played for slapstick and laughs, and the cast...head by Jesse Tyler Ferguson and Hamish Linkletter...are terrific. The ensemble who also do many of the scene changes do so while bee-bopping and lindy-hopping around the stage with great panache.

The show starts at 8:30, and runs 90 minutes without an intermission. Minor spoiler...(which will be revealed in all reviews,) this is the first time that I have seen both sets of twins portrayed by one set of actors, and they do it with impeccable timing.

I highly recommend this one. Shakespeare at it's most accessible, you could take your "I-hate-classic-theater" friends/kids/co-workers, and they'll not only get it, they'll have a blast.

Archived