Bradley Manning gay defense

smooth77
This topic is 3998 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Is it just me or is someone else sickened by the fact that Bradley Manning the soldier who leaked documents to WIKI Leaks is using being gay as a big part of his defense? Most newspaper articles start with " The gay soldier" and then proceed. Manning is using the defense of being gay as a big excuse for his actions. Whether you agree with what he did or not, I think he is setting back a lot of hard fought gains for the gay community by saying in essence "you shouldn't have trusted me because I am gay". That many in the gay community have endorsed him is also bothersome. Gays in and out of the military will suffer from this "chicken hearted" defense strategy. I think this will have a bearing on gay men's assignments in the military whether they do so on purpose or not by their superiors for decades to come. The gay community should distance themselves from this self-serving creep.

The Aurora cinema shooter recently pleaded insanity after his offer to the government to plead guilty for life imprisonment but not receive the death penalty. So he was sane enough for him and his lawyers to make that offer but after it was rejected he's now insane. That bothers me more than Bradley Manning doing whatever to defend himself. From what I've read about the inhumane treatment Manning has received while in military custody and the number of sexual assaults in the military on a daily basis (70) we need a lot more trials or guilty pleas from the military. We're not supposed to act like or worse than some third world country towards those in custody. I don't condone Manning's actions if he is guilty but we need more sunlight on the military and the curtain opened on spending while we're looking at ethics/legalities/morals.

I agree with you that what he did was reprehensible, and that they should put him in jail for a long time. I am aware from newspaper stories that he's gay. This was mentioned in the coverage of yesterday's testimony, However, I think you may be overreacting to his "gay" defense. I think he's the kind of person who would use anything, such as a cleft palate, or growing up in foster care, to justify his actions. One problem with "the gay community should distance themselves from this" is that protesting, however justified, calls attention to the gay community and any miscreants, such as Manning, who happen to be gay.

Thirty years ago, certain Italian-American groups would have gone bonkers because "The Sopranos" was on TV. Now, it's "OK, no big deal, wew can live with it." Unfortunately, gays do not yet occupy the mainstream of Italians and Jews

in acceptability in American society.

In theaters now the VERY VERY VERY good documentary "We Steal Secrets" gives amazing insight into how being gay, and how being transgendered, related to both Manning's decision to leak and also his decision, afterward, to reach out to a bisexual hacker who turned him in.

I always have way too much sympathy for the prosecuted. And this film made me feel very sympathetic for this confused young man. No, that doesn't mean I agree with what he did. It's possible, and I often to, do both disapprove of what someone did and to feel very sorry for that someone.

...I always have way too much sympathy for the prosecuted. And this film made me feel very sympathetic for this confused young man. No, that doesn't mean I agree with what he did. It's possible, and I often to, do both disapprove of what someone did and to feel very sorry for that someone.

You have a good heart, Rod. :)

Archived