Vicious with Ian Mckellen and Derek Jacobi

operalover21
This topic is 4047 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

It was episode 3 last night of the new ITV comedy starring Ian McKellen and Derek Jacobi as a very old gay couple. Also starring that treasure Frances de la Tour. It's been kinda fun. Yes, every possible gay cliche imaginable but still enjoyable especially when performed by such old pros as these. Some of the lines:

McKellen: "I have an audition tomorrow. Do you think I can pass for 50?"

Jacobi: "I don't think you can pass for alive."

de la Tour ogling the young twink neighbor: "would you be offended if I mentioned the musculature of your chest ... "

Anyway, check it out. It's fun!

I also just watched Ep 3. The cast is amazing.....you couldn't ask for better actors. However, I find the portrayal of gay characters so cliche and kinda surprising for 2013, especially with gay writers involved. Also, they are so mean to each other, it doesn't seem believable. I was disappointed....such a great opportunity that was missed.

I also just watched Ep 3. The cast is amazing.....you couldn't ask for better actors. However, I find the portrayal of gay characters so cliche and kinda surprising for 2013, especially with gay writers involved. Also, they are so mean to each other, it doesn't seem believable. I was disappointed....such a great opportunity that was missed.

Yes, I too was surprised by how mean and catty they are to each other. It's not just gay writer involved but gay actors. McKellen actually asked for the original title (Vicious Old Queens) to be changed because, as he said "I may be vicious but I'm not an old queen." Perhaps he hadn't read the script!

But they are too of my favorite actors so I'm glad to see it and it's worth it just for Frances de la Tour.

Archived