Angelina Jolie has double mastectomy

operalover21
This topic is 4040 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

This one left me speechless. The Oscar-winning star penned an op-ed for the New York Times in which she revealed she has undergone a double mastectomy as a "preventitive measure" as she has an 87% chance of getting breast cancer because of her genes.

I'm stunned. I really have difficulty understanding how people can summon the resolve to do this - I think it takes enormous strength.

She is one of Many Women who make this decision which does take courage!

Actually, not that many. I read an article in The Guardian which quote a number of doctors who say this sort of thing is very rare and not for most women, several called it "radical" and said there were other options, and all pointed out that health insurance will not cover it and only rich women could afford it.

Actually, not that many. I read an article in The Guardian which quote a number of doctors who say this sort of thing is very rare and not for most women, several called it "radical" and said there were other options, and all pointed out that health insurance will not cover it and only rich women could afford it.

In response to Angelina's announcement, one of our local TV stations interviewed someone who was trying to arrange the procedure for herself. Her insurance company initially told her it would be covered, but then changed their decision because there had been only ONE death from breast cancer in her family and they require TWO. I don't know if that is 'standard' or if requirements vary widely.

btw - was the Guardian article discussing American or UK policies?

FWIW, My cousin had breast cancer three times finally succumbing after 20 years. First, she had one radical mastectomy, then 8 years later a second radical mastectomy, finally after beating it twice, she lived COURAGEOUSLY for 7 years while fighting the third outbreak of breast cancer, dying within days of the 20th anniversary of the first mastectomy...

After her death, our family mantra became, LOSE THOSE JUGS, LOSE THOSE JUGS, anytime some one figured out they were susceptible to the dreaded breast curse.

In response to Angelina's announcement, one of our local TV stations interviewed someone who was trying to arrange the procedure for herself. Her insurance company initially told her it would be covered, but then changed their decision because there had been only ONE death from breast cancer in her family and they require TWO. I don't know if that is 'standard' or if requirements vary widely.

btw - was the Guardian article discussing American or UK policies?

It was discussing health in general and I believe the quotes were from American doctors.

FWIW, My cousin had breast cancer three times finally succumbing after 20 years. First, she had one radical mastectomy, then 8 years later a second radical mastectomy, finally after beating it twice, she lived COURAGEOUSLY for 7 years while fighting the third outbreak of breast cancer, dying within days of the 20th anniversary of the first mastectomy...

After her death, our family mantra became, LOSE THOSE JUGS, LOSE THOSE JUGS, anytime some one figured out they were susceptible to the dreaded breast curse.

Of course, as has been pointed out in several articles written since this story broke ... you can get breast cancer even without having "jugs."

I think she is an amazing woman! When I lived in nola at our condo on Gov. Nichols st. Brad and Angelina bought a house a half a block away. My ex and I saw them alot as they walked around. They had NO attitude and were total sweethearts. They shopped at the verdi mart a block the other way and a few times the papparazzi would hide in my flowers to take their pics. I ran the photographers off and Brad told me he appreciated that...... All my best to my former VERY HOT and famous neighbors

Archived