Topsy-Turvy- Women For Men- Night For Day- Tuedsay's Wednesday

Gar1eth
This topic is 4070 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

So I was just looking at a video clip from Pippin, and I saw that the Lead Player is a woman. It got me to wondering. From what I've heard- originally in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, the Narrator was originally a male part. I even used to have a cassette of what was probably one of the first recorded versions of the play where the Narrator was sung by a male. This version was probably closer to Andrew Lloyd Weber's school version of the piece than later versions.

I think I originally obtained the cassette from Amazon- and I remember reading reviews where people gave the opinion that it should always be sung by a man. After finding out it was originally written for a male's voice- I noticed several places in multiple versions- by numerous great female singers such as Maria Friedman, and others- where they seem to be really straining for the notes.

So would any of you like to see a production of Joseph with a male Narrator? I think I would as I've seen it numerous times with females.

Gman

Archived