Bacterial meningitis outbreak? More Norovirus outbreaks? Concerning?

oceansunshine
This topic is 4040 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Read this in today's LATimes & certainly is news to me. It certainly seems very concerning as well for our community. And at the bottom of the article it mentions a vaccine. I wonder if all of us should get vaccinated and maybe most of us were already vaccinated in the past with childhood shots (I'll need to check with my Dr.....)? Then the Norovirus below, which did affect me and family already a couple of weeks ago (ugh). Concern for all?:

From the latimes.com:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-meningitis-20130413,0,62027.story

Caution advised after West Hollywood lawyer stricken with meningitis

'We don't want to panic people,' a city councilman says. 'But we learned 30 years ago the consequences of delay in the response to AIDS.'

By Ari Bloomekatz, Los Angeles Times

April 13, 2013

A recently confirmed case of meningitis in Los Angeles County and a spate of others striking gay men in New York City have officials in West Hollywood warning residents to take precautions.

"We don't want to panic people," said West Hollywood City Councilman John Duran, who serves a community with a heavy gay and lesbian population. "But we learned 30 years ago the consequences of delay in the response to AIDS. We are sounding the alarm that sexually active gay men need to be aware that we have a strain of meningitis that is deadly on our hands."

Late in the day, the medical director of the Los Angeles Gay & Lesbian Center also called on county health officials to make the meningitis vaccine available free to any gay or bisexual man who wants it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FOR THE RECORD:

An earlier version of this article, quoting West Hollywood City Councilman John Duran, incorrectly reported that a man who had contracted meningitis had died. A family spokeswoman said the man, Brett Shaad, has been declared brain dead but remained on life support Friday night.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

During a midafternoon news conference at West Hollywood City Hall, a choked-up Duran identified the infected, gravely ill man as Brett Shaad, a 33-year-old lawyer.

Only a week or so ago, Duran said, he had seen the lawyer, whom he described as extremely fit. Officials said that over Easter weekend he had attended the White Party in Palm Springs, an annual gathering that draws 8,000 to 10,000 gay men from across the country. After returning, the man was hospitalized, his health rapidly declined and he was found to have meningitis.

While meningitis is not classified as a sexually transmitted disease, it can be transmitted through intimate encounters, including sexual activity.

But Duran added that "we don't know yet if we can make that connection between individuals at the White Party and the resident."

White Party founder Jeffrey Sanker issued a statement through his publicist: "My heart goes out to the parents and siblings [of the lawyer], as we have always regarded all our party participants as extended family.

"From what we all know to date, the origin of the case is inconclusive; nonetheless, like many large gatherings gay or straight, people are often in close intimate contact with each other. However, we have always been very proactive in distributing literature for the health and safety of our patrons so everyone can be educated and informed."

Health officials said they believe the outbreak in New York is circulating among men who have sex with men and that this particular strain may have been transmitted through intimate encounters. Why certain people become ill is not fully understood, officials said.

Earlier this week, L.A. County's top health officer said there were "apparently some similarities" between the case here and the especially deadly strain found in New York. That city has seen 22 such meningitis cases in recent years, including seven fatalities since 2010.

"But it's not identical," said Dr. Jonathan Fielding, director of the county Department of Public Health. Officials said that the gym where the local lawyer worked out — Equinox in West Hollywood — was contacted to inform members about the case, but that there was no need to panic.

Bacterial meningitis is a disease that can be treated with antibiotics if identified quickly. Symptoms include sudden fever, severe headache and sensitivity to light.

People who are in very close contact with someone who has meningitis are at higher risk of contracting the disease because it can be spread by kissing or coughing, though it is not as contagious as the common cold. There is a vaccine, but it is generally recommended only for certain populations, including adolescents.

ari.bloomekatz@latimes.com

Copyright © 2013, Los Angeles Times

Then this which affected many at my place of work (and we hear about from Hotel stays, airplane trips, cruise ships) and reminder we all need to be aware of importance of good hand washing, etc. etc.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2013/01/26/doctors-warn-of-new-stomach-superbug-hitting-u-s/

Doctors Warn of New Stomach ‘Superbug’ Hitting U.S.

A new strain of norovirus that wreaks havoc on people’s stomachs is so vicious that it’s being called a “superbug” by doctors.

Though it was first identified in Australia, this norovirus — also called the Sydney strain — is quickly spreading across the United States.

In an average year, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, about 21 million Americans get the norovirus, with classic stomach flu symptoms such as vomiting and diarrhea.

Eight hundred die. Symptoms come on very suddenly, within hours after a person has been exposed to it.

Because no one has immunity to this new strain, more Americans — perhaps 50 percent more, the CDC says — could become violently ill.

While the flu is spread mostly in the air by sneezes and coughs and a person needs to breathe in as many as 1,000 virus particles to get sick, the norovirus is far more contagious. Just 18 norovirus particles can make a person sick.

The flu can last two to four hours on hard surfaces outside your body, but the norovirus can survive and remain infectious for weeks.

To keep the norovirus away, medical experts suggest cleaning the house with bleach, not just regular detergents. They also say that while hand sanitizers kill the flu virus, they are not effective at getting rid of the norovirus.

Medical experts suggest washing your hands with soap and water repeatedly to keep the norovirus off them.

Read this in today's LATimes & certainly is news to me. It certainly seems very concerning as well for our community. And at the bottom of the article it mentions a vaccine. I wonder if all of us should get vaccinated and maybe most of us were already vaccinated in the past with childhood shots (I'll need to check with my Dr.....)? Then the Norovirus below, which did affect me and family already a couple of weeks ago (ugh). Concern for all?:

From the latimes.com:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-meningitis-20130413,0,62027.story

Caution advised after West Hollywood lawyer stricken with meningitis

'We don't want to panic people,' a city councilman says. 'But we learned 30 years ago the consequences of delay in the response to AIDS.'

By Ari Bloomekatz, Los Angeles Times

April 13, 2013

A recently confirmed case of meningitis in Los Angeles County and a spate of others striking gay men in New York City have officials in West Hollywood warning residents to take precautions.

"We don't want to panic people," said West Hollywood City Councilman John Duran, who serves a community with a heavy gay and lesbian population. "But we learned 30 years ago the consequences of delay in the response to AIDS. We are sounding the alarm that sexually active gay men need to be aware that we have a strain of meningitis that is deadly on our hands."

Late in the day, the medical director of the Los Angeles Gay & Lesbian Center also called on county health officials to make the meningitis vaccine available free to any gay or bisexual man who wants it.

FOR THE RECORD:

An earlier version of this article, quoting West Hollywood City Councilman John Duran, incorrectly reported that a man who had contracted meningitis had died. A family spokeswoman said the man, Brett Shaad, has been declared brain dead but remained on life support Friday night.

During a midafternoon news conference at West Hollywood City Hall, a choked-up Duran identified the infected, gravely ill man as Brett Shaad, a 33-year-old lawyer.

Only a week or so ago, Duran said, he had seen the lawyer, whom he described as extremely fit. Officials said that over Easter weekend he had attended the White Party in Palm Springs, an annual gathering that draws 8,000 to 10,000 gay men from across the country. After returning, the man was hospitalized, his health rapidly declined and he was found to have meningitis.

While meningitis is not classified as a sexually transmitted disease, it can be transmitted through intimate encounters, including sexual activity.

But Duran added that "we don't know yet if we can make that connection between individuals at the White Party and the resident."

White Party founder Jeffrey Sanker issued a statement through his publicist: "My heart goes out to the parents and siblings [of the lawyer], as we have always regarded all our party participants as extended family.

"From what we all know to date, the origin of the case is inconclusive; nonetheless, like many large gatherings gay or straight, people are often in close intimate contact with each other. However, we have always been very proactive in distributing literature for the health and safety of our patrons so everyone can be educated and informed."

Health officials said they believe the outbreak in New York is circulating among men who have sex with men and that this particular strain may have been transmitted through intimate encounters. Why certain people become ill is not fully understood, officials said.

Earlier this week, L.A. County's top health officer said there were "apparently some similarities" between the case here and the especially deadly strain found in New York. That city has seen 22 such meningitis cases in recent years, including seven fatalities since 2010.

"But it's not identical," said Dr. Jonathan Fielding, director of the county Department of Public Health. Officials said that the gym where the local lawyer worked out — Equinox in West Hollywood — was contacted to inform members about the case, but that there was no need to panic.

Bacterial meningitis is a disease that can be treated with antibiotics if identified quickly. Symptoms include sudden fever, severe headache and sensitivity to light.

People who are in very close contact with someone who has meningitis are at higher risk of contracting the disease because it can be spread by kissing or coughing, though it is not as contagious as the common cold. There is a vaccine, but it is generally recommended only for certain populations, including adolescents.

ari.bloomekatz@latimes.com

Copyright © 2013, Los Angeles Times

This was an idiotic article by the LA Times as it didnt mention what type of bacterial meningitis. There are multiple types. I believe however that I remember from an earlier article in the New York Times that it was Neisseria meningitidis meningitis sometimes also called Meningococcal Meningitis. It's most common in adolescents or young people living in close quarters like dorms or military installations. The bacteria can cause either bloodstream infection or meningitis or both. Surprisingly - people do better if they only have meningitis rather than the bloodstream infection if they are treated in time. But make no mistake, this is a deadly disease and you can in the case of the bloodstream infection be dead within hours after symptoms occur. You can die from the meningitis too but not usually not as quickly. There is a vaccine for certain strains of the illness. Sometimes they require it for college. The vaccine has really only been popular for around 10 to 15 years. So if you weren't in college or high school within the last 10 to 15 years or if you were didn't get any vaccinations during that period or if you are older than that, then most likely you haven't had that vaccination. So you may want to talk to your doctor about getting vaccinated against meningococcal disease.

Gman

A new article on this, this time with some reporting from NYTimes journalists with actions going on in the community regarding vaccinations at dr offices and clinics.....:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/14/us/after-meningitis-death-in-los-angeles-gay-activists-urge-vigilance.html?smid=pl-share

April 13, 2013

On Alert for Meningitis in Los Angeles

By IAN LOVETT

WEST HOLLYWOOD, Calif. — A potentially deadly strain of meningitis, which has left one resident brain dead, has sent a shiver through the large gay community here, as public health officials have urged residents to be on the lookout for any symptoms of the disease.

Although only one case has been confirmed in the area, officials said, the onset follows an outbreak of deadly meningitis among gay men in New York City. At least 22 men have contracted meningitis in New York since 2010, 13 of them this year, and 7 have died.

Health officials have not yet determined if there is any connection between the cases in New York and the one here. But the similarities have ignited fears that this case could be an early sign of a bicoastal outbreak.

“The lesson we learned 30 years ago in the early days of H.I.V. and AIDS is that people were not alerted to what was going on and a lot of infections occurred that didn’t need to occur,” said John Duran, a West Hollywood city councilman and one of the few openly H.I.V.-positive elected officials in the country. “So even with an isolated case here, we need to sound the alarms, especially given the cases in New York.”

In New York, the city health department issued a warning last month, urging all men who regularly have intimate contact with other men to be vaccinated for meningitis. Officials here have thus far been reluctant to do the same.

At a news conference on Friday, Dr. Maxine E. Liggins, with the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health, warned residents to watch for early signs of meningococcal meningitis, including a severe headache and stiff neck. The disease, a bacterial infection of the membrane surrounding the brain and the spinal cord, can be effectively treated with antibiotics if detected early, although it can intensify quickly.

Ms. Liggins said the county was still investigating the case, looking for people who might have recently had close contact with Brett Shaad, the 33-year-old West Hollywood lawyer who was declared brain dead on Friday, just days after friends described him as fit and healthy. He remained on life support Saturday, pending arrangements for organ donations.

Officials had not yet determined if he was infected with the same strain as the patients in New York, and they were not recommending the vaccine for gay men.

“Currently, we do not have an outbreak going on,” Ms. Liggins said, noting that Los Angeles County had 13 cases of meningococcal meningitis last year.

The health department’s response has frustrated gay leaders here, who argued that at the very least the county should make the vaccine available to gay and bisexual men who want it.

The Los Angeles Gay and Lesbian Center has publicly urged the health department to make the vaccine more widely available, and ordered an initial supply of the vaccine, about 100 doses, which will be offered to people without insurance or who otherwise cannot afford to pay for it at the private clinics where it is available.

“People are scared, and we want those who are concerned to be able to get the vaccine,” said Jim Key, a spokesman for the Gay and Lesbian Center. “We don’t want to wait.”

Mr. Duran said he would push for the City of West Hollywood to cover the cost of about 100 additional doses of the vaccine. He called the health department’s response “government neglect” reminiscent of the delayed response to the outbreak of AIDS in the 1980s.

It was unclear whether the supply of the vaccine could keep up with demand. As word of Mr. Shaad’s condition spread through West Hollywood, the epicenter of gay culture and nightlife in Southern California, many frightened residents went in search of places where they could be vaccinated.

Pharmacies and doctor’s offices around West Hollywood, few of which offered the vaccine, fielded almost nonstop calls about it on Friday afternoon. By Saturday morning, multiple clinics that had been offering the vaccine in the Los Angeles metro area had already run out, and staff members did not know when they would be getting more.

“I don’t see any reason why everyone shouldn’t get vaccinated in our community,” said Michael Valeo, a 41-year-old gay resident of West Hollywood, who was vaccinated on Friday. “With the cases in New York and now here, that’s a lot of people in our community who have gotten sick. We have a mechanism to take care of it, so let’s take care of it.”

Thank you oceansunshine. I was about to come here and post something about this outbreak. And yes, it is now an outbreak. I've refrained from using that word but the public health officials are using it and I think it is appropriate. No need to panic, but heightened awareness, action and attention is appropriate.

First, from my perspective, WeHo Councilman John Duran should be drawn and quartered. First and foremost for violating Brett Shaad's privacy. A young man was dying in the hospital. Yes he knew him personally. He ran into him at the White Party. But what does he do? He gets up at a press conference on Friday and announces to the world, on his own, that he was brain dead (which was true) and that the family had removed life support (which was untrue). Neither of which was his place to say. Who does he think he is? His statement forced the family to respond later saying he was brain dead but that life support continued and the next day to even ask for privacy. Truly disgusting.

There is a good article on Americablog which talks with a CDC epidemiologist and meningitis expert that certainly is worth reading.

http://americablog.com/2013/04/meningitis-nyc-gay-men-cdc-fact-sheet.html

The upshot of where we stand:

1) All HIV+ patients everywhere should be vaccinated with the meningitis vaccine (more on this in a minute).

2) MSM, regardless of HIV status, who regularly have close or intimate sexual contact with men met through an online website, digital application ("app"), or at a bar or party in NYC. This does not apply to only residents of NYC but to anyone who visits NYC (the last sentence is my clarification).

This warning has also been issued by at least the Boston Public Health Department and I'm sure other health departments I'm sure.

We don't know yet if the case in WeHo is connected yet. Neither do we know if the case in Madison, Wisconsin is related. However, for men in NY, for men who visit NY regularly or plan to visit NY in the near future, talking to your doctor would seem to be a good suggestion at least.

Now as far as HIV+ men, I didn't know that HIV+ (well any immune-compromised person, such as transplant patient), should talk to their doctor and consider getting the meningitis vaccine. But they are on the meningitis vaccine information statement. And not a new addition.

It isn't an STI. It is spread through saliva and mucus from the throat and mouth. Not casually, but intimately. Like deep kissing. Which is how many of us kiss very close friends. But not from a blow job through a glory hole.

We just need to stay alert. And let the health experts guide us and not panic.

Thank you oceansunshine. I was about to come here and post something about this outbreak. And yes, it is now an outbreak. I've refrained from using that word but the public health officials are using it and I think it is appropriate. No need to panic, but heightened awareness, action and attention is appropriate.

First, from my perspective, WeHo Councilman John Duran should be drawn and quartered. First and foremost for violating Brett Shaad's privacy. A young man was dying in the hospital. Yes he knew him personally. He ran into him at the White Party. But what does he do? He gets up at a press conference on Friday and announces to the world, on his own, that he was brain dead (which was true) and that the family had removed life support (which was untrue). Neither of which was his place to say. Who does he think he is? His statement forced the family to respond later saying he was brain dead but that life support continued and the next day to even ask for privacy. Truly disgusting.

There is a good article on Americablog which talks with a CDC epidemiologist and meningitis expert that certainly is worth reading.

http://americablog.com/2013/04/meningitis-nyc-gay-men-cdc-fact-sheet.html

The upshot of where we stand:

1) All HIV+ patients everywhere should be vaccinated with the meningitis vaccine (more on this in a minute).

2) MSM, regardless of HIV status, who regularly have close or intimate sexual contact with men met through an online website, digital application ("app"), or at a bar or party in NYC. This does not apply to only residents of NYC but to anyone who visits NYC (the last sentence is my clarification).

This warning has also been issued by at least the Boston Public Health Department and I'm sure other health departments I'm sure.

We don't know yet if the case in WeHo is connected yet. Neither do we know if the case in Madison, Wisconsin is related. However, for men in NY, for men who visit NY regularly or plan to visit NY in the near future, talking to your doctor would seem to be a good suggestion at least.

Now as far as HIV+ men, I didn't know that HIV+ (well any immune-compromised person, such as transplant patient), should talk to their doctor and consider getting the meningitis vaccine. But they are on the meningitis vaccine information statement. And not a new addition.

It isn't an STI. It is spread through saliva and mucus from the throat and mouth. Not casually, but intimately. Like deep kissing. Which is how many of us kiss very close friends. But not from a blow job through a glory hole.

We just need to stay alert. And let the health experts guide us and not panic.

I thought my post was very reasonable and informative.

Gman

Well, anyone declared brain dead is dead in every medical and legal sense of the word. Sometimes, the organs are kept alive for organ transplantation purposes, but the time of death is brain death, so it was not incorrect to report that the man had died. As the Public Health Department said, no reason to panic. The vaccine has only been given routinely to teens in their late high school years for about 6 or 7 years, so unless you graduated from high school within the last several years, you probably haven't been vaccinated. There's probably no reason not to give it to adults--it's mainly a supply problem. MGC is a problem in college dorms, so the CDC/ACIP have decided to just recommended to high school students before they graduate from high school.

I'm no fan of John Duran's, but maybe he was just stricken with grief? Privacy is a moot issue for a dead person, but I agree that it would have probably been more appropriate for the family to bring it up, unless Brett was his domestic partner.

http://www.advocate.com/sites/advocate.com/files/imagecache/stories/SchaadFull.jpg

God knows...living in Atlanta, barebacking and crystal meth usage are through the roof. I don't know this guy. I don't know his circumstance. I would bet there was tons of crystal meth going up noses at The White Party while dudes gyrated in manpanties. Crystal meth produces gallons of snot. I have listened to local discussions on this. And what I have been told is it is passed on my nasal secretions which run down the throat as well. So, it can be spread by kissing, not casual contact...contact with nasal secretions.

Since I am not due for any work at my primary, $100 to any local pharm will get you the vaccine. CVS, Wal-Greens, Publix, etc. Just call ahead. I'm getting mine on Tuesday.

Wear condoms

Put down the trailer park party candy(ESPECIALLY you Atlanta club kids in your 40s, 50s & 60s...it's a different costume party every weekend)

God knows...living in Atlanta, barebacking and crystal meth usage are through the roof. I don't know this guy. I don't know his circumstance. I would bet there was tons of crystal meth going up noses at The White Party while dudes gyrated in manpanties. Crystal meth produces gallons of snot. I have listened to local discussions on this. And what I have been told is it is passed on my nasal secretions which run down the throat as well. So, it can be spread by kissing, not casual contact...contact with nasal secretions.

Since I am not due for any work at my primary, $100 to any local pharm will get you the vaccine. CVS, Wal-Greens, Publix, etc. Just call ahead. I'm getting mine on Tuesday.

Wear condoms

Put down the trailer park party candy(ESPECIALLY you Atlanta club kids in your 40s, 50s & 60s...it's a different costume party every weekend)

Just an FYI- public health departments may have it to give out on a sliding scale. Also at some pharmacies- like the 24 Walgreens I go to, if they have the shot, there is always a pharmacists who can inject you. Finally if you want to get it at your doctors but they don't have any, you can get the doctor to give you a prescription for a vial to pick up at the pharmacy. The pharmacy may need to order it. And I don't know about the storage conditions on this vaccine - some can stay at room temperature- some need to be refrigerated or frozen. If you are taking the vial back to your doctor- make sure how it needs to be transported or you could be injecting yourself with the equivalent of water.

Gman

Wearing condoms has nothing to do with this, from what I've read. It's spread through saliva, and kissing is the most heavily implicated activity, according to one article. The problem is carriers who don't know they are infected kissing other people. Some people who get infected quickly develop symptoms and become very ill. Others don't - so it is mainly spread by those who don't.

Wearing condoms has nothing to do with this, from what I've read. It's spread through saliva, and kissing is the most heavily implicated activity, according to one article.

The vaccine is recommended for college students and new military recruits. There's probably lots of kissing going on in colleges, but despite what we see in porn movies, I don't think there's much soldier-to-soldier kissing in the barracks. The CDC says "People in the same household, roommates, or anyone with direct contact with a patient's oral secretions, meaning saliva or spit, (such as a boyfriend or girlfriend) would be considered at increased risk of getting the infection."

I see some contradictions here. Which is it? Do you have to kiss someone, or is just being roommates enough? I never had spit contact with any of my college roommates (though I wouldn't have minded in some cases).

The vaccine is recommended for college students and new military recruits. There's probably lots of kissing going on in colleges, but despite what we see in porn movies, I don't think there's much soldier-to-soldier kissing in the barracks. The CDC says "People in the same household, roommates, or anyone with direct contact with a patient's oral secretions, meaning saliva or spit, (such as a boyfriend or girlfriend) would be considered at increased risk of getting the infection."

I see some contradictions here. Which is it? Do you have to kiss someone, or is just being roommates enough? I never had spit contact with any of my college roommates (though I wouldn't have minded in some cases).

No, you don't have to kiss anyone. Just being in close quarters seems to be the problem (i.e. the small rooms in the college dorms or army barracks)

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.advocate.com/print/commentary/2013/04/24/op-ed-politics-grief-and-meningitis

Originally published on Advocate.com April 24 2013 4:09 AM ET

Bacterial meningitis has become a topic of discussion among gay people from Los Angeles to New York City to Washington, D.C., and many places in between. Make no mistake about this, the discussion and resulting awareness is going to save lives.

This discussion began in New York as a precautionary measure after several gay men became infected last fall. Last week it grew much larger over the first known case of meningitis in the Los Angeles gay community (following two others in Southern California in December that had recently come to light). That discussion has generated significant amount of anger, and the whole episode troubles me deeply. It is full of good intentions, misinformation, tragedy, sadness and anger. This is a volatile mix that has clouded the judgment of those involved.

It all began with Brett Shaad being admitted to the hospital on Monday of last week with symptoms of meningitis. The diagnosis was confirmed, and he quickly declined and died by week's end. Before his death, West Hollywood City Council member John Duran held a press conference to sound the alarm about the potential for a meningitis outbreak and urged gay people to take steps to protect themselves.

His reaction and advice were based on his experience living through the AIDS epidemic. Duran referenced Shaad, though not by name, and disclosed that he had been at the White Party in Palm Springs the prior weekend. He did this because meningitis is spread through close contact, and the potential for it having spread throughout attendees of the White Party is entirely logical. After all, the boys there dance, kiss, talk closely to overcome the loud music, share drinks, and sometimes even have sex. These are all activities in which meningitis can be transmitted.

After Shaad's death, his brother posted a statement on Facebook claiming that Brett's privacy and that of his entire family was violated by Duran. There was misinformation spread, the brother claimed. He also said he did not know whether Brett attended the White Party. (He later said Brett definitely did not attend.) There were also some choice words for Duran, accusing him of using Shaad's death for political gain and to get media coverage. This Facebook post gained traction among Shaad's friends and acquaintances, the community at large, and the media.

This stoked the fire. Duran apologized for having confirmed Brett's identity to the media after they discovered it on their own. He also apologized for other minor mistakes, such as not clearly explaining how the infection can spread. Nonetheless, rants have been rampant on Facebook and in the real world. John Duran has been deemed a villain because of the press conference.

For full disclosure, I have known John Duran for a few years through my involvement with the Victory Fund. I also have mutual friends with Brett and was hearing information as it was released. Finally, since I often travel to New York and L.A., and have many friends who do, I was vaccinated for meningitis nearly two weeks ago. When the need was brought to my attention, I thanked the friend who did so.

What seems to have caused some of the anger of the family is misunderstanding. Perhaps they were angry at the correlation of meningitis to AIDS, the "gay disease." Maybe they were upset that Brett was being associated with a well-known circuit party and many of the stereotypes associated with it. Surely they were taken aback to watch Brett go from an attractive, fit, intelligent lawyer to brain-dead within days and no way to stop it. Without doubt, they grieve the loss of an amazing brother and son.

Considering their experience, it's understandable they would be angry. I believe their anger is misplaced, and with time, I hope they will understand that something positive can and must come from this terrible loss.

It is clear that John Duran acted with good intentions. To claim he is some sort of media ***** seeking attention is to not know or acknowledge that he is pretty much already a household name in West Hollywood. And while he might have better planned the press conference and worked proactively with the family, the attention he brought to the issue will likely save lives.

Claims of creating some level of panic are gay drama at its best. Folks need to understand that sometimes things happen that compel us to educate ourselves and make decisions in our own best interest. This is one such time. We now know that Brett wasn't the first death in L.A. from meningitis, he was the third. It can take up to 22 days for symptoms to present, and sometimes when they do, the symptoms may seem common. After a weekend of drinking and dancing, I wouldn't think twice of a sore neck. That is, unless I was aware of the possibility of contracting a meningitis infection.

Perhaps if Duran had held his press conference a week earlier or if Brett had a friend in New York City alert him about meningitis, he would still be alive. There is no way to know for sure.

But if we want something positive to come out of this, we should stop the bickering and honor the memory of one of our community's fallen by trying to ensure it doesn't happen again.

LANE HUDSON is a writer and activist.

Archived