RIP Van Cliburn - legendary pianist and American hero

leigh.bess.toad
This topic is 4108 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I've just read the news about the passing of Van Cliburn. For those of us at a certain age who grew up around classical music, we were taught to almost revere and worship Cliburn. His victory in the 1st Tchaikovsky Piano Competition was an American victory. He was given a ticker tape parade in NY, the only musician ever so honored. At the height of the cold war, he stood alone as a shining example of America.

And he was gay, which we didn't learn til much later. So we have not only lost one of the greatest musicians ever produced in this country, we have lost one of our family.

Many will remember the Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto #1, but for me it was always the other concerto he played in the competition which captured me the most: The Rachmaninoff 3rd. The Rach 3 was always viewed as the Everest of piano concertos and if any piano student at my conservatory ever dared to mention playing it, they were immediately ridiculed. It was too hard for a young pianist. And it won Cliburn the competition at the age of 23. Remarkable.

RIP Mr. Cliburn. For your contributions to lifting up a country reeling after Sputnik, for your contributions to music and for inspiring generations of pianists, musicians and music lovers, we all say thank you. You will never be forgotten.

And here is the ending of the Rach 3. Sealed with a kiss at the end for Kiril Kondrashin.

[video=youtube;lV9bmcE7d5Y]

Thanks for post, Lee. I had not seen this as yet. I remember seeing him perform both with the Chicago Symphony and the New York Philharmonic. He had an incredible talent, good looks, boyish face, long arms and especially long fingers, so maybe something else was long too, but I am not being disrespectful here. I have several of his CDs that were remastered from original recordings. His win in Moscow was almost unheard of, as it was the first time that an American had ever won that competition, and it was at the height of the cold war, if I remember correctly.

RIP, Mr. Van Cliburn... you have given us a wonderful gift of music that will never be forgotten. I hope your life was one that was fulfilled beyond your musical gifts too.

His win in Moscow was almost unheard of, as it was the first time that an American had ever won that competition, and it was at the height of the cold war, if I remember correctly.

Just a bit of amplification to that DD. He was the first American to win it because it was the first Tchaikovsky competition held. It was designed to show the supremacy of Russian pianists and artistry. The judges were terrified at the thought of giving the prize to an American, given the cold war and the knowledge it was designed for the Soviet propaganda. Because of this they approached Nakita Kruschev, the Russian premiere. All he said was "Is he the best? Then give it too him". He was beloved not only here but in Russia as well and remarkably viewed as a hero both here and in Russia.

He performed from every president from Truman through Obama. He was awarded the Kennedy Center Honors, the Presidential Medal of Freedom, and the Russian Order of Friendship, the latter two being the highest civilian honors both countries give. In 2010 he was given the National Medal of Arts. He performed for dozens of heads of state and royalty. He performed a concert in the White House at the request of Ronald Reagan during a state visit by Mikahil Gorbachev.

Truly one of the greatest pianists of the 20th century and he will be remembered for a very, very long time. Definitely in the class of Artur Rubenstein and Vladamir Horowitz. We shall not see his likes again. And this year's Van Cliburn competition in Fort Worth, created by city leaders to honor him and now one of the greatest piano competitions in the world, will be done in his honor. It should be an emotional event this year in Fort Worth.

He was definitely an extremely talented pianist, but I think the NY Times obituary is a bit more realistic about his artistic standing. He played a limited repertory, and after the peak experience of the Tchaikovsky competition and the immediate aftermath, he burned himself out quickly on the concert circuit. His attempt to add more concertos to his repertory had only mixed success, and his real career before the public was actually rather short. He lived in semi-retirement for the past quarter-century.

This is very sad news. He was born in my home town of Shreveport, LA and I was fortunate to have met him in person. I was working at a local department store while in college that he frequented when he visited family. I do recall on a couple of occasions his partner also being with him. This was the early 1980s when he retired for a while. His partner, Thomas Zaremba, filed a palimony suit against him after their relationship ended. They either settled or the court dismissed the case as it did not go to trial.

He was definitely an extremely talented pianist, but I think the NY Times obituary is a bit more realistic about his artistic standing. He played a limited repertory, and after the peak experience of the Tchaikovsky competition and the immediate aftermath, he burned himself out quickly on the concert circuit. His attempt to add more concertos to his repertory had only mixed success, and his real career before the public was actually rather short. He lived in semi-retirement for the past quarter-century.

Truth be told, I think he suffered from severe stage fright. Hence the fainting spells at concerts and his reclusiveness. When success comes at such an early age, and with the kind of fanfare he received, the pressure to exceed expectations takes a toll.

Truth be told, I think he suffered from severe stage fright. Hence the fainting spells at concerts and his reclusiveness. When success comes at such an early age, and with the kind of fanfare he received, the pressure to exceed expectations takes a toll.

The pressure on a young man, who won the Tchaikovsky at the age of 23, carrying the hopes and cheers of an entire nation, could crush even the strongest man. And yes, he had stage fright and was basically a shy, introverted man. He handled it far better than I, or anyone else i know, could have.

Guest verymarried

A few years ago an aunt of mine was over 100 years old and her daughter was to take her to a VC concert in their town. Somehow Mr. Cliborn got wind of this and the family was informed that he was sending a limo to pick them up for the concert. When they arrived, they had been moved to front seats and Mr. Cliborn came down and presented my aunt with roses after he performed.

...Somehow Mr. Cliborn got wind of this and the family was informed that he was sending a limo to pick them up for the concert. When they arrived, they had been moved to front seats and Mr. Cliborn came down and presented my aunt with roses after he performed.

Wow, that's a great story and testament to VC's kind and generous spirit. Thanks for sharing it.

Cliburn's funeral is today at the Broadway Baptist Church in Ft. Worth. George W. Bush will deliver the eulogy. He and his wife, Laura, provided a 4-foot wide memorial wreath for the visitation that occurred yesterday. In this morning's Dallas Morning News, a there was also a photo of his longtime companion Thomas L. Smith receiving condolences from guests.

I am so glad that Mr. Smith is being recognized as being a "long time companion"...VC was a remarkable guy, who as Lee has said was thrust into a very difficult role at age 23. He was a man of contradictions, as we know. This may be one of the best things that GW Bush has done in his life. The whole world will miss Mr. Cliburn, but fortunately he will live on in his recordings, especially now that many have been remastered into high quality digital sound.

Archived