Is Being Gay Just A State of Mind?

RexAll
This topic is 4149 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

So you conclude that nearly every person who calls himself bisexual is a liar. I prefer to classify myself, and let everyone do the same about their own sexuality.

I didn't say that, did I? I was talking about my own experience with the people I know who call themselves "bisexual." Almost all of them are actually just plain old gay.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The comments in this thread declaring that there are no bisexuals remind me of when homophobes say we choose to be gay (or when Stevie Wonder says we're just "confused"). It's all the same bigotry.

That's a pretty narrow minded view. Of course, I don't think anyone on this thread actually said there are "NO" bisexuals. And you have a very odd definition of what bigotry is or at least one so broad that almost anything could be dumped into the bigotry pot.

I was married for almost 20 years to a woman; for the last 10, I've been out and in a relationship with a man. Does that make me a bi-sexual? Nope. I've always been gay, it just took me many years to be comfortable with that and to go against my upbringing.

I think a lot of people who call themselves "bi-sexual" are in the same boat. That doesn't make them bi-sexual and it also doesn't make them bigots.

I have a different interpretation of what Rick said. I think he meant that if I were to say that all bisexuals are liars that I would be the

bigot. I don't think he was saying that bisexuals as a class are bigots.

Neither makes any sense. Calling someone a liar doesn't make you a bigot.

The comments in this thread declaring that there are no bisexuals remind me of when homophobes say we choose to be gay (or when Stevie Wonder says we're just "confused"). It's all the same bigotry.

It's interesting that you make that comparison, because the fact that some people say that we choose to be gay is probably the only fact which gives me a hint of a doubt about the existence of bisexuality. After all, only someone who was bisexual himself could make that statement and believe it to be true. However, due to the facts which I elaborated on in a prior posting, it's my belief that the people who make such statements are either quite stupid, or, more likely, liars and assholes. For those reasons, I feel fairly certain that people who identify themselves as bisexual are either deluding themselves or just plain lying. As I said in a prior posting, the only way to be certain of this would be to do autopsies on the brains of men who identified themselves as bisexual during life.

A belief is just that. For example, due to information I've heard from various sources, I believe Tom Cruise to be gay. That means that I believe he's a liar. That doesn't make me a bigot. It's possible that my belief is wrong, but I doubt it. The only way to prove my belief would be to be able to read his mind while he's jacking off or having sex--or to do an autopsy of his hypothalamus after he dies. I will say that many times I've had confirmations of my beliefs on the sexual preferences of many other famous people when they either came out or were involuntarily outed. Possibly we'll never have absolute confirmation with respect to Tom Cruise, but I'll still stick to what I believe.

That's a pretty narrow minded view. Of course, I don't think anyone on this thread actually said there are "NO" bisexuals.

I was married for almost 20 years to a woman; for the last 10, I've been out and in a relationship with a man. Does that make me a bi-sexual? Nope. I've always been gay, it just took me many years to be comfortable with that and to go against my upbringing.

I think a lot of people who call themselves "bi-sexual" are in the same boat. That doesn't make them bi-sexual and it also doesn't make them bigots.

In the post I previously quoted, you came as close as someone can to saying there are no bisexual, but left a very narrow escape route.

I would have never married a woman for 20 seconds, yet alone 20 years, yet I completely understand your situation.

But I can also completely understand that some people are bisexual without ever being married, or, on the other hand, being married for decades.

There's a movie you can watch on Netflix streaming, Bi the way, which profiles some young people who consider themselves bisexual. It gives some interesting insights into their points of view, but it left me feeling like many of these people were "confused" or on a journey to find their real sexuality. I don't claim that real bisexuality doesn't exist, but I think it is quite rare, and many, many people who identify as bisexual are not actually.

Archived