As You Like It/Shakespeare in the Park

skynyc
This topic is 4373 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Just back from a lovely evening in Central Park with Stephen Spinella, Lily Rabe, Oliver Platt and Andre Braugher among others.

A charming re-imagining of this play in 1890s Kentucky, or thereabouts, with the wooden stockade giving way to the Forest of Arden. And a terrific bluegrass quintet playing along. Rabe is going to be the next Meryl Streep with her distinctively husky voice and very capable handling of every role I have seen her do.

Her Rosalind/Ganymede was just marvelous. The rest of the company are up to her standards, and the play, which runs a full three hours, was well handled. It never ceases to amaze me when I see a production like this, that folks have been being entertained by these same words for over 400 years.

I recommend this if you can either go on-line for the virtual lottery, or can spend a nice morning in the park on line. I got there at about 10:45, and had no trouble getting a seat...and met a pal who got there at 12:10 and also got in. It also looked like most of those who were on the cancellation line got in. This is the last week for this production, but I anticipate a much greater demand for Into the Woods which begins at the end of July.

Archived