Film of 15 yrs ago, BENT - worth a look

adriano46
This topic is 4560 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Recently I came across a film that was released in 1997 called BENT

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118698/

I came across it in iTunes while trying to find other films with the Canadian actor, Lothaire Bluteau, and this one had him starring with Clive Owen, and had a very campy but well acted part for Mick Jagger early on in the film.

Story takes place in Berlin in years of rise of Nazisim and centers on Clive Owen's character (who kisses quite a lot of other sactors in this film, which I was happily surprised to see - and see over and over), but the most beautiful oments take place between Lothaire and Clive as prisoners in Dachau. The ending is very moving.

For those who have never heard of this film, I highly recommend a look - it can be rented or purchased on iTunes.

bigvalboy, I watched it late last evening, and it was so moving at the end found sleep hard to come by, but that is not a negative. It was beautifully filmed, superior acting and script, and the dialogue between the characters in the camp of Clive Owen and Lothaire Bluteau is riveting. I am amazed I never heard of this before - perhaps because thinking of many of the gay scenes (the first 15 or 20 minutes in pre-WWII Berlin were really wild and raunchy for 1997), it probably had a limited release.

On Lothaire Bluteau, I began checking him out from his character in the early episodes of MISSING a few weeks ago, then remembered him from THE TUDORS, and then caught his earlier film called BLACK ROBE (where he plays a Jesuits missionary), and find him very appealing as an actor -- plus not hard on the eyes. I have to say both he and Clive seem to have willingly starved themselves to get down to nearly skin and bones towards the end of BENT. Their "virtual sex" dialogue was both erotic and beautiful - so for a thinking man's gay flick, this is one to consider.

Richard Gere played Max in the original Broadway play, which was much darker and more shocking. I think he took the role after American Gigolo, so we were all astounded at his range. I went to see the play, to see him naked, but had to go out to the lobby to regain my composure after a rape scene. I saw the movie, because I see all things Clive Owen, it was still very troubling but very moving.

Richard Gere played Max in the original Broadway play' date=' which was much darker and more shocking. I think he took the role after American Gigolo, so we were all astounded at his range. [/quote']

I saw a preview, so Richard Gere must have grown into the role; my memories are that he was good, but not great in the lead role.

What I do remember was the Gere was the most attractive man I had ever seen up to that point in my life, just stunningly good looking in a way that did not come across on film.

I liked the movie as well.

Richard Gere played Max in the original Broadway play, which was much darker and more shocking. I think he took the role after American Gigolo, so we were all astounded at his range. I went to see the play, to see him naked, but had to go out to the lobby to regain my composure after a rape scene. I saw the movie, because I see all things Clive Owen, it was still very troubling but very moving.

Totally Agree! I had forgotten about Gere as Max in BENT! He definitely NAILED the part and probably could have NAILED any of the Gay Guy's in the audience as well! :rolleyes:

Clive Owen also did a Fantastic job as Max...

Bent has always been one of my all time favorites... on stage and especially on the film which provided a wider range of settings to showcase the actors and the story. I also agree that Richard Gere is a remarkable and stunning Man, he was sexy when he was young, and continues to be very sexy and a great actor in almost everything he does. I wish I had seen more of him on Broadway.

DD

Archived