Bad luck

CT Dick
This topic is 7833 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

According to an article in “The Express,” Florida’s gay newspaper, “The New York Post has reported that the first divorce directly related to the Sept. 11 attacks has been filed in New York.

“Apparently some dude with an office on the 103rd floor of the World Trade Center spent the tragic morning at his girlfriend’s apartment with his phone switched off. The sex must have been great because the couple wasn’t watching TV either.

“When he turned his phone on again at around 11am, it rang right away. His hysterical wife was on the line and said, ‘Are you OK? Where are you?’

“He replied, ‘What do you mean? I am in the office, of course!’”:7

Dick

I just love this story. Especially since it probably isn't true. I first heard it several weeks after 9/11, when a friend told me an almost identical story about a couple whose wife was the best friend of someone that she knew. I fell for it, hook line and sinker and was properly horrified. Several days later, I started to receive chain e-mails that repeated and/or built upon the sordid details. The basic story was always the same. I.E., It's Sept. 11 2001. A married man is supposed to be at work on a high floor in the WTC. He spent the morning in tryst with his girlfriend. (Some versions had him in her apartment; others had the dirty deed taking place in a no-tell motel.) The illicit lovers were so wrapped up with what they were doing that they were unaware of the unfolding tragedy. His phone was turned off for most of the morning. He turned it on. It rang almost immediately. His frantic wife was on the phone. He claimed to be at work. The rest is history. (I forwarded all of the e-mails to the friend who told me the original story. She couldn't believe that she had been "had". As far as know, she never challeged the person who first told it to her.)

The story has been repeated so many times, that snopes.com (which, among other things, attempts to verify the voracity internet rumors, has created a page that attempts to explain it. Here's a link:

http://www.snopes.com/rumors/adultery.htm

Archived