Maryland Passes GAy Marriage Act

Poolboy21409
This topic is 4478 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The Maryland State Senate today passed the Gay Marriage Act after the Maryland House passed the same bill earlier. Gov. O'Malley , a sponsor of the legislation, said he will sign the bill the first of next week - to be effective January 1, 2013. Opponents said they will fight this step for equality by putting the issue to the vote of the general population in ballot referendum in the November election. Let's please insure that this advancement for equal rights survives. Help us in Maryland preserve this step to equality and fairness.

The Maryland State Senate today passed the Gay Marriage Act after the Maryland House passed the same bill earlier. Gov. O'Malley , a sponsor of the legislation, said he will sign the bill the first of next week - to be effective January 1, 2013. Opponents said they will fight this step for equality by putting the issue to the vote of the general population in ballot referendum in the November election. Let's please insure that this advancement for equal rights survives. Help us in Maryland preserve this step to equality and fairness.

I do not know much about Politics in Maryland, but the vote by the general population, as in Washington, could be tough to win. Washington, has a great deal of conservatives outside of the Seattle area, and unfortunately many liberals and moderates will vote against gay marriage, even in Seattle. I hate to say it, but I would guess that both measures will go down. I hope I am wrong, and it will be amazing if I am.

The Conservative rural folk in MD - mostly registered Dems but in reality Republicans - will be against. What is really revealing is the anti-gay marriage sentiment among a large segment of the State's large African American population -- especially those that attend the "mega churches" in the grater DC/ Baltimore area. The ministers of these various congregations are almost universally opposed and are actively campaigning against this new right.

Archived