Mardi Gras

citylaw1
This topic is 4512 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I was shocked to find rooms available at the Ritz Carlton for $299 for Mardi Gras. I have never been. Any input on whether it's worth it?

Are we talking about New Orleans? I've been to the Ritz and in my opinion it's worth the price.

I went to Marriott.com and whilst I couldn't find the rate you quoted, I was offered a ...

Lundi Gras Ride of a Lifetime Package, prepay in full, non-refundable if cancelled more than 1 day after booking

Starting From 27,500.00 (USD)

27,500.00 (USD) per stay

Ritz-Carlton Suite, Club lounge access, 1 Bedroom Presidential Suite, 1 King, Bathrooms: 1.5 Room details:

LUNDI GRAS RIDE OF A LIFETIME PACKAGE

ENJOY MARDI GRAS IN STYLE AND CREATE A MEMORY FOR A LIFETIME

PACKAGE INCLUDES

- THE RITZ-CARLTON SUITE FOR 4 NIGHTS

- RIDE IN THE KREWE OF ORPHEUS PARADE FOR 2 INCLUDING BEADS,

THROWS AND COSTUMES

- VIDEOGRAPHER TO FILM PREPARATION AND PARADE (MAX 12 HOURS)

- ACCESS TO CONCIERGE LOUNGE

- BREAKFAST IN ROOM FOR 2 DAILY (INCLUDING RECOVERY CONCIERGE)

- ONE COUPLES MASSAGE (FOR 2) PER STAY

- OVERNIGHT VALET PARKING AND HI SPEED INTERNET ACCESS

Have a nice time !

Are we talking about New Orleans? I've been to the Ritz and in my opinion it's worth the price.

I went to Marriott.com and whilst I couldn't find that rate you quoted, I was offered a ...

Lundi Gras Ride of a Lifetime Package, prepay in full, non-refundable if cancelled more than 1 day after booking

Starting From 27,500.00 (USD)

27,500.00 (USD) per stay

Ritz-Carlton Suite, Club lounge access, 1 Bedroom Presidential Suite, 1 King,

Bathrooms: 1.5 Room details: [/color]

Expedia rate of $299 for cityview checking in on the Monday before the parade. I thought that $299 was VERY low in that it's the busiest week of the year.

Expedia rate of $299 for cityview checking in on the Monday before the parade. I thought that $299 was VERY low in that it's the busiest week of the year.

Perhaps all the recent rumblings of excelerated Crime in NOLA could be the cause of room availabilities and decent rates ?

My accomodation of choice at New Orleans was the Pontchartrain on St. Charles Avenue; regretfully, it has closed its doors as an inn. I have dined in The Cafe at The Ritz-Carlton, and, it was a pleasant experience complimented by good fare; I do think that the accomodations of that establishment would serve to disappoint you. Mardi Gras at New Orleans, for the common man, is a street party of gargantuan proportion; certainly, a fabulous spectacle but drunken, unruly crowds, standing lines at restaurants and bars must be endured, and, fray, harried hotel and restaurant employees must be accomodated. Nonetheless, if you have a friend that can secure an invitation for you to one of the private, masked balls, by all means impose upon him for admittance card.

My accomodation of choice at New Orleans was the Pontchartrain on St. Charles Avenue; regretfully, it has closed its doors as an inn. I have dined in The Cafe at The Ritz-Carlton, and, it was a pleasant experience complimented by good fare; I do think that the accomodations of that establishment would serve to disappoint you. Mardi Gras at New Orleans, for the common man, is a street party of gargantuan proportion; certainly, a fabulous spectacle but drunken, unruly crowds, standing lines at restaurants and bars must be endured, and, fray, harried hotel and restaurant employees must be accomodated. Nonetheless, if you have a friend that can secure an invitation for you to one of the private, masked balls, by all means impose upon him for admittance card.

Everything mentioned here has solidified my decision to stay home. What was I thinking?

Checking in on Lundi Gras, (Monday, Feb 20) would be arriving a little late for the party. Mardi Gras (Fat Tuesday, Feb 21) is the conclusion of Carnival Season. It seems like every year, I run into people who arrive on Monday or Tuesday and stay past Mardi Gras, expecting the party all week. In reality, the party starts a couple of weeks before Mardi Gras, builds up to full craziness by Friday, Feb 17, goes strong all the way until midnight on Fat Tuesday, and then promptly and abruptly ends at 12:01am when they ceremoniously clear everyone off the streets and begin cleaning up.

So, if you want to come to New Orleans for Mardi Gras, I would recommend arriving sometime during the weekend before, and staying through Tuesday.

Citylaw, I experienced Mardi Gras several years ago, and must say it was the BEST, most exciting and most fun vacation I have ever had, to this day, and there have been many. Its a 24/7 spectacle, filled with electrifying energy in the air and in its peoples.

However, as I previously mentioned, many in the know (including MikeyNola) have commented on the decay and crime of NOLA which would give me pause if I was considering another visit, especially if I was travelling alone.

Guest verymarried

I am down in NOLA for business pretty often. I have not had problems but I have a good friend who dances at the Corner Pocket who told me he has started carrying a knife for protection due to many acts of violence and his late night hours on the quarter streets. I stay at the Omni Royal Orleans, a great hotel with a totally non-judgmental staff. It is located in the center of the quarter in a good location so I am halfway confident when I walk back in late hours, but one of the murders was just a block away. The Omni has an amazing rooftop pool, terrace with bar, observation deck and gym. The staff is very cool and helpful, with some employed there for over 30 years.

I live in New Orleans' French Quarter and while the recent uptick in violence is of great concern to us, the vast majority of it takes place in parts of town where tourists would never go. Mardi Gras, I believe, is particularly safe because the streets are crowded with people at all hours of day or night. Like any urban area, danger lurks on quiet, dimly lit streets where you're alone and vulnerable. You won't find those conditions in New Orleans during Mardi Gras.

I am also one of those crazy people who absolutely loves New Orleans. I always stay at the Place d'Armes on St. Ann street. The location, virtually across the street from the Cathedral, is fantastic. Some of the rooms are small and some are dark so you have to be clear about the type of room you want and arrive early to make certain that you get it. I hate crowds so I have always made a point of avoiding Mardi Gras. I have always felt safe in the Quarter but am careful about venturing into other areas of the city without checking with locals first.

I am also one of those crazy people who absolutely loves New Orleans. I always stay at the Place d'Armes on St. Ann street. The location, virtually across the street from the Cathedral, is fantastic. Some of the rooms are small and some are dark so you have to be clear about the type of room you want and arrive early to make certain that you get it. I hate crowds so I have always made a point of avoiding Mardi Gras. I have always felt safe in the Quarter but am careful about venturing into other areas of the city without checking with locals first.

That's where I stayed on my first & only visit in the early 80's. And 30 years later, I still use my Cafe du Monde mug for morning coffee. :)

if anyone would like to privately discuss all things NOLA please pm me. I lived there full time last 8 years. Well, after all my bluster about the violence I have decided that I cannot miss Mardi Gras so I am going Feb 17-22nd. The hotels are way overpriced that week so if you can stay with friends or get 4 or 6 guys together and split a suite that is the way to do it. I am looking forward to seeing alot of my old regular clients there and meeting alot of NEW ones. Mardi Gras makes me really HORNY. Some thoughts: Royal Orleans- awesome! Dookie Chase- doing great but Lil Dizzies is best on Esplanade! palace de arms- cool place! Are the streets safe? no!!! Be careful and do not walk alone. Even the parade routes get shootings. The city gets in your blood though and you just cant stay away. http://www.rentboy.com/mikey9nola1 "I am not about the clock, I am about the cock!" IN NOLA: Feb. 17-22nd and booking now @ 239-464-6053

Archived