Helen Frankenthaler and John Chamberlain Died

Karl-G
This topic is 4536 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Two of America's greatest artists of the 20th century died within the past week; Helen Frankenthaler died at 83 and John Chamberlain at 84. Ms Frankenthaler was a painter of "post-painterly abstraction" or Color Field style. She developed a technique for creating paintings by pouring paint, which had been thinned by much turpentine, onto a canvas, and then working slightly with a brush. Her works ranged in size from huge environments 20 feet long to the most gorgeous and intimate works on paper 16x18 inches. A number of her works delighted me at the recent Art | Basel | Miami Beach Fair held earlier this month in South Florida.

A few of her works can be seen at http://theindecisivemoment.wordpress.com/2009/05/24/inspired-by-a-master-helen-frankenthaler/

The work of John Chamberlain was also very prominent at Art Basel this year, as it has been for a number of years. Mr. Chamberlain worked with brightly painted pieces of steel torn and cut from salvaged automobiles. His works also ranged in size from huge to very intimate little pieces that you would see in Miami Beach and which would easily sit well in an apartment or house. His work had enormous influence on younger artists because of its use of found materials, industrial products, large size, minimalism, and more.

Some of Mr. Chamberlain's works may be seen at http://averymccarthy.blogspot.com/2011/05/sculpture-by-john-chamberlain.html

I have enjoyed the work of both for many years, and I am happy I saw their latest work just a few weeks ago. One large work in blues by Frankenthaler covered an entire wall and was 20 feet long. Another sublimely beautiful little work on paper was my favorite at the whole fair.

Archived