Lysistrata Jones

edjames
This topic is 4529 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

A little off-off-off Broadway musical originally performed in a real school gymnasium, this musical garnered great reviews when it first played at the Fringe Festival. It's moved to Broadway, cast intact, and gotten some very good reviews, however, Broadway buzz says the show is in trouble, can't find its audience and is leaking money faster than an old man with a bladder problem.

I went to see it last night and personally I say...UGH! This was never meant for Broadway and it's audience would best be found off-off Broadway. This is not a show for the elderly ladies and gentlemen who scurry into the theater with their walkers and canes. The music is rock/pop/rap and there is no song that comes close to a crossover hit. trust me, you won't be singing this score when you leave the theater. Its a show for twenty-somethings and well, given the recession, they are not about to cough up $120 bucks for a ticket. but don't worry, discounts for this abound and I'm sure it's on TKTS however no one can pronounce the show's title.

OK, what is all the fuss about? Well, despite an attempt by Douglas Carter Beane to update the play by Aristophenes about a group of women, in this case, cheer leaders, who deny sex to their BF's until they win a basketball game in a small local college. In the Aristophene's version the women deny sex to the men until they give up going to war.

A small and energetic cast. No stars, so everyone is virtually unknown, but a couple of cute chorus boys and in one number they strip down to their undies. Still, no amount of energy or cutiness was going to save this show for me.

I left at intermission along with a number of other folks. The back of the audience was empty seats.

So sad, I predict that along with Bonnie and Clyde and Private Lives it will have a short life on Broadway.

ED

• 2 weeks later...

Archived