Cuba

robberbaron4u
This topic is 3450 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

MIAMI (AP) — The number of U.S. visitors to Cuba continues to rise, even as the more than five-decade long embargo remains firmly in place, according to study released Monday.

Within the first three months of 2014 alone, there were more U.S. tourists to the island than in all of 2013 from England, Germany or France, according to a report by the U.S.-based Havana Consulting Group provided to The Associated Press. Canada remains the No. 1 country of origin for travelers to Cuba, but the number of U.S. travelers to the island has been steadily increasing over the last seven years.

Some 173,550 U.S. travelers visited Cuba in January through March. That compares to 149,515 from England, 115,984 from Germany and 96,640 from France in 2013.

"The data confirms, although the Cuban government does not recognize it publicly, that the United States, even with the effect of the embargo, is the second greatest source of tourists to Cuba after Canada," Emilio Morales, the consulting group's president wrote in the report.

"The push in the first trimester has been huge," he added.

Most of the U.S. travelers are Cuban-Americans visiting family but others have no ties to the island and travel to participate in academic and cultural programs.

The continuing increase in U.S. travel to the Communist-run island comes five years after President Barack Obama loosened restrictions on travel to Cuba. In 2009, Obama lifted a limit put in place by former President George W. Bush allowing Cuban-Americans to travel to island country no more than once every three years to visit relatives. And in 2011, he reinstated the so-called "people-to-people" trips, allowing U.S. citizens to apply for a travel license to participate in educational activities that promote contact with ordinary Cubans.

Havana is the top destination for most U.S. travelers, followed by Santa Clara and Camaguey. The vast majority fly out of Miami International Airport. More than 1,000 flights have departed from Miami to Cuba so far this year, with another 109 leaving from Tampa, the report said.

Travel in the first three months of 2014 was higher than in the last trimester of 2013, when many Cuban-Americans travel to spend the holidays with their family. The number of U.S. travelers has increased steadily each year, from about 245,000 in 2007 to nearly 600,000 last year.

"We expect that 2014 will be a record year," Morales wrote.

On average, Cuban-American travelers spend about $3,238 per person during their stay, accounting for a major source of revenue for the economically-strapped island.

The study was based off data from U.S. airports and Cuba's National Statistics Office.

While the data points toward another big year for U.S. travel to the long-forbidden island, there is one ongoing hurdle: Cuba suspended consular services in February after being unable to find a new bank in the U.S. for its diplomatic accounts. While many U.S. travelers had already submitted their visa requests for spring visits to Cuba, the situation remains unresolved and charter operators say it is having an impact.

"At this point, it's just getting worse," said Armando Garcia, the owner of Marazul, one of the largest Cuba charter operators. "For Cuban-Americans born in the United States we already have serious problems because we don't have visas for them. It's affecting travel, no doubt."

source: http://bigstory.ap.org/article/study-us-travelers-cuba-continues-rise

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In conjunction with Steven's contribution, I'd like to give a very wonderful website to consult: http://cubaabsolutely.com. I have it in my files and have read and consulted, for if thngs go as planned, and as I've mentioned previously, I have a licensed tour planned in 2015. My tour is from 2.28.15 til 3.7.15. The cost is wonderful, and I'll be free most if not all evenings. Have already contacted Junior in Habana. He's a gay guide who can be googled. I'm having him take me on his "Gay Tour" probably on my first night because it'll be a Saturday. Junior 'DOES NOT' get his clients locals "for pay and play!"

There's another guy who serves as a guide as well; his ad and information can be googled as well. I've consulted both sites but will go with Yunior since he's been here for a while and he and I have shared emails for a while. After my trip I do plan to come to this site and write for the benefit of others who desire to travel to this largest of island nations that comprise the Caribbean. [Lastly, I have purchased five different travel books about Cuban Travel. The info. is amazing as well as highly informative.]

MIAMI (AP) — The number of U.S. visitors to Cuba continues to rise, even as the more than five-decade long embargo remains firmly in place, according to study released Monday.

Within the first three months of 2014 alone, there were more U.S. tourists to the island than in all of 2013 from England, Germany or France, according to a report by the U.S.-based Havana Consulting Group provided to The Associated Press. Canada remains the No. 1 country of origin for travelers to Cuba, but the number of U.S. travelers to the island has been steadily increasing over the last seven years.

Some 173,550 U.S. travelers visited Cuba in January through March. That compares to 149,515 from England, 115,984 from Germany and 96,640 from France in 2013.

"The data confirms, although the Cuban government does not recognize it publicly, that the United States, even with the effect of the embargo, is the second greatest source of tourists to Cuba after Canada," Emilio Morales, the consulting group's president wrote in the report.

"The push in the first trimester has been huge," he added.

Most of the U.S. travelers are Cuban-Americans visiting family but others have no ties to the island and travel to participate in academic and cultural programs.

The continuing increase in U.S. travel to the Communist-run island comes five years after President Barack Obama loosened restrictions on travel to Cuba. In 2009, Obama lifted a limit put in place by former President George W. Bush allowing Cuban-Americans to travel to island country no more than once every three years to visit relatives. And in 2011, he reinstated the so-called "people-to-people" trips, allowing U.S. citizens to apply for a travel license to participate in educational activities that promote contact with ordinary Cubans.

Havana is the top destination for most U.S. travelers, followed by Santa Clara and Camaguey. The vast majority fly out of Miami International Airport. More than 1,000 flights have departed from Miami to Cuba so far this year, with another 109 leaving from Tampa, the report said.

Travel in the first three months of 2014 was higher than in the last trimester of 2013, when many Cuban-Americans travel to spend the holidays with their family. The number of U.S. travelers has increased steadily each year, from about 245,000 in 2007 to nearly 600,000 last year.

"We expect that 2014 will be a record year," Morales wrote.

On average, Cuban-American travelers spend about $3,238 per person during their stay, accounting for a major source of revenue for the economically-strapped island.

The study was based off data from U.S. airports and Cuba's National Statistics Office.

While the data points toward another big year for U.S. travel to the long-forbidden island, there is one ongoing hurdle: Cuba suspended consular services in February after being unable to find a new bank in the U.S. for its diplomatic accounts. While many U.S. travelers had already submitted their visa requests for spring visits to Cuba, the situation remains unresolved and charter operators say it is having an impact.

"At this point, it's just getting worse," said Armando Garcia, the owner of Marazul, one of the largest Cuba charter operators. "For Cuban-Americans born in the United States we already have serious problems because we don't have visas for them. It's affecting travel, no doubt."

source: http://bigstory.ap.org/article/study-us-travelers-cuba-continues-rise

-

-

Thanks to Steven for posting the article concerning Cuba.

It is clear from the article, why so many Americans are confused about tourism for Americans visiting Cuba.

The article fails to address severe restrictions on Americans visiting Cuba. The article states that tourism by Americans is increasing but the article fails to state that the tourism is restricted to licensed and supervised tours.

The article is selectively misleading because the article implies that Americans are visiting Cuba for tourism, UNRESTRICTED.

Americans can travel to Cuba for tourism only if the American is part of a U.S. licensed and SUPERVISED tour group.

There are companies in Canada and Mexico that advertise as “licensed” tour operators.

However, the so-called license of another country does not meet the requirement for the tour to be licensed by the U.S. Government.

Travel companies in other countries are very much aware of the restrictions placed on American tourism in Cuba. These companies want revenue. To convince Americans to use foreign government tour agencies, some agencies tell Americans that the foreign company is “licensed” but the license is meaningless unless the license comes from the American government (State Department).

To balance out Steven’s article (and maybe remove some confusion for some), I suggest that the below links be read in conjunction with the article provided by Steven. This way, for those who are considering a trip to Cuba will have more information available prior to making a firm decision to visit or not to visit Cuba.

After reading the links provided below, it should be clear that Americans cannot freely visit Cuba solely for unsupervised tourism.

For those who still doubt, ask yourself the following: If it were possible for Americans to visit Cuba (unsupervised for tourism), why are American based airlines not able to unrestrictedly sell flight tickets to Americans for travel to Cuba? Why are American based travel agencies unable to sell package tours to Americans to visit Cuba? Why do Americans visit Cuba by first going to Canada or Mexico or another third country?

The answers to these questions can be found in the below links or by consulting the Unites States Government State Department concerning Americans visiting Cuba.

http://gocaribbean.about.com/od/cuba/a/How-To-Travel-To-Cuba-If-You-Are-An-American.htm

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2014/07/02/how-americans-can-vacation-in-cuba

Bottom line, proceed to Cuba for tourism, via a third country, at your own risk.

Quite simply, visiting Cuba illegally just isn't worth getting into trouble with the U.S. government. -

-

• 5 weeks later...
The Castro Regime welcomes your American dollars. Spend wisely.

Dollars have to be exchanged for Cuban CUC's; there's a hefty percentage rate attached to this, so I'm buying Euros to exchange for CUCs. I do think that I will not be charged

a percentage to do this while I'm in Habana. [i've been reading salient materials at reputable sites, so I know what I'm writing!]

• 4 weeks later...
The Castro Regime welcomes your American dollars. Spend wisely.

The fee is 15% for exhanging dollars into CUCs! I plan to buy Euros and convert; that way I will save myself some money! For the Euros that I have left over, I'll take them with me to Spain and Portugal which I hope to visit in September/October 2015!

Based on the news that just now broke with the President announcing moves toward normalizing relations with Cuba, we can look forward to change in Cuba travel information. I visited Cuba (legally) last year and loved it, partially because so much seemed to be frozen in the past. I expect this will change. Of course, on a sanctioned people-to-people trip such as I was on, you don't get to visit the more modern resort areas frequented by the Canadians and Europeans.

Archived