Bolshoi's "Sleeping Beauty"

Karl-G
This topic is 4572 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Yesterday's simulcast of the "Sleeping Beauty" from Moscow was excellent in every way. Beginning twenty-five minutes before the performance, we watched people arriving at the newly refurbished Bolshoi Theater, which looks splendid. Then we were taken backstage and could watch the dancers warm up, put on make-up, and wander around the stage, which is enormous.

The hostess was Katia, who spoke beautifully in French, English, and Russian. The staging was magnificent in every way. The costumes were elaborate and beautiful, and the stage design was sumptuous and gorgeous. The camera work was excellent, and in the theate where I saw it, the HD made it seem like I was looking at the stage performance at the Bolshoi - it was very real.

I was also lucky in audience; it included twenty students 14-16 yo from a local ballet academy. Not quite half of them were boys. All were well behaved and fascinated and entranced by the performance.

The intermission, which lasted a half hour, included interviews with a couple of the dancers, including the American, David Hallberg, who was the principal. He is the first American to dance as a principal with the Bolshoi, and he seems to work very well with them. His body type is like theirs - slender and tall. All of the women in the company had gorgeous legs, not a massive thigh in the group. They are different looking than other companies. All of the dancers were superb. The prima ballerina was Svetlana ____, who was both beautiful and technically marvelous. Watching her was a constant pleasure. David also was excellent, and the whole company was very good.

The simulcast was an excellent introduction to what hopefully becomes a frequent occurrence. It was a great boon to us viewers, and it should bring in some needed revenue to the Bolshoi. If you did not see it yesterday, it will be repeated tomorrow, Tuesday, Nov. 22, in the evening. They will also be doing "Esmeralda," based on Hugo's "Hunchback of Notre Dame" on Nov. 30.

--

Baron,

Thanks for this post. I don't think it was simulcast in our area, but I will look for it. I assume that this was in a theater and not via TV. I am especially interested in David Hallberg, as he grew up in South Dakota, but fortunately he had supportive parents, teachers and a community who recognized that he had an extraordinary gift and have helped him pursue that dream. Thanks again, and I hope to be able to see that program.

DD

Archived