Hugh Jackman, Back on Broadway

skynyc
This topic is 4582 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

A hugely enjoyable evening by a fearless performer who is so talented and comfortable that he made everyone in the fairly intimate Broadhurst Theater adore him.

(Spoilers coming.)

With a seventeen piece orchestra, six dancing ladies, everyone's favorite X-Man does perhaps the gayest performance I have ever seen from a straight man. After his opening (Oh What a Beautiful Morning), he does a very clever medley of songs about "Song and Dance" followed by "I Happen to LIke New York/On Broadway" the involves the audience continually, and invites several members up during "Fever" and his patter is effortless and charming as he talks about Oklahoma, Wolverine and doing the Rodgers Centennial "Carousel" at Carnegie Hall. HE begins the second act flamboyantly "as" Peter Allen and does a number of that man's classics...Don't Cry Out Loud, Moon and New York City, Rio, etc in Gold lame trousers and open shirt. Following a quick costume change he does an MGM movie medley then pays homage to his homeland of Australia with a small Aborigine quartet of vocalists and dirigidoo players.

This is a classic Vegas-style act, which is a treat to watch...and there aren't any discounts. The show is selling well, I expect it will sell-out and I suspect that producers hope that he will extend beyond New Year's Eve, (if his movie schedule will allow.) Try to sit in the front box on the left.

I saw as well. He's a charmer and talented too. My favorite line in the show was Hugh saying, "I've got a confession to make. No, not that one. You go on Oprah for that one.". I wouldnt be so sure about the straight label. Google Hugh jackman John Palermo and see what comes up. I know he trots wifey out and does a tribute to her but...

Go see it if you can though. Thoroughly enjoyable.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw the show last night. A terrific, fun and very enjoyable evening of song and dance. He is an amazing showman.

I had seen the show in Toronto this past summer and only a few elements of the program have changed. He's added a few more dancers, some better costumes for the girls, and a NYC song tribute.

Everyone loved him. He picked a guy out of the audience, who turned out to be gay and whose boyfirend was a "singer", Hugh got them up on stage and well, let's hope someone secretly video taped the fun!

He mentioned in Toronto that he intended to do this show every Sunday night while he is filming Les Miz in London next year.

ED

Archived