Happy Halloween from Chicago!

Romann
This topic is 4577 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I have a number of fond memories of past Halloween when I was a kid which have been long forgotten till earlier today. For a number of years I loved the holiday, like most kids because it was a chance to be something different, something that was planned out and each detail was important because it was a one time event each year. It was your chance to be not you but someone, or something else that existed only in day dreams and Hollywood movies.

The most vivid memory (I couldn't have been more than 5 or 6 years old) was when I lived back in Ohio and my parents thought it would be a hoot if they sent my sister and I on our way as a pair life size dice. The whole concept of it didn't seem possible even to me as a wee little kid though through some serious engineering by my Dad who quite honestly was a good craftsman/handyman and builder as a hobby, he used chicken wire to create the overall mold and used paper mache to create the skin of the costumes, painted white and then added all the classic dice markings with little port holes for our arms, legs and head. Somehow we fit into these contraptions and were sent out with our sleep bags to carry all our candy with my parents trailing behind.

My sister thought it was continually funny to push me down and watch me squirm on my back like a turtle or worse, she would wait till we were walking along hilltops between neighborhoods and nudge me just enough to watch me do a little dance to catch my balance back as my arms wavered from side to side. Needless to say because of all the times she pushed and nudged me, by the end of the night, my costume was a bit dented, bruised and broken here, there and a number of other places but that night I remember we didn't fight but instead, my sister and I laughed and together we were a pair of dice.

I am not sure why this memory stepped out into the shadows earlier today but it did make me chuckle a bit and think back to when life was just a bit simpler and that evening was especially fun.

I’ll be sure to call my sister tonight and share that memory with her.

That said, Buster, Chloe and I would like to wish you a happy, safe and laughter filled evening whatever your plans are because THE HOLIDAY SEASON BEGINS... NOW!

http://www.thecdr.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/halloween1.jpg

Archived